Both Paul and Minucius Felix had a problem with euhemerizers

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Both Paul and Minucius Felix had a problem with euhemerizers

Post by Giuseppe »

According to Paul:
  • the only "glory" of God is the cross
    As for me, God forbid that I should boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Galatians 6:14
  • someone was changing the "glory of God" in an image of a mortal man
    Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

Romans 1:22-23
  • therefore: someone was euhemerizing the crucifixion of Jesus, i.e. they were placing, against the Paul's will, the angel Jesus on the earth.

Minucius Felix had a similar problem :

For in that you attribute to our religion the worship of a criminal and his cross, you wander far from the neighbourhood of the truth, in thinking either that a criminal deserved, or that an earthly being was able, to be believed God.”

'The Octavius of Minucius Felix', chapter 29.

In other words, Felix says that true Christians don't worship a crucified man on earth. For a crucified man is unworthy of worship and an earthly being cannot be thought of as God. Felix is saying that a Jesus crucified on earth never existed.

For the same reason of Paul.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Both Paul and Minucius Felix had a problem with euhemerizers

Post by Ben C. Smith »

If I read the word "euhemerize" (in any of its forms) one more time, I am going to fling myself from my balcony.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Hee hee
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:58 am If I read the word "euhemerize" (in any of its forms) one more time, I am going to fling myself from my balcony.
You mean, you don't appreciate Giuseppe's sense of euhemer? :D
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

GakuseiDon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:03 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:58 am If I read the word "euhemerize" (in any of its forms) one more time, I am going to fling myself from my balcony.
You mean, you don't appreciate Giuseppe's sense of euhemer? :D
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

A picture of a man with outstretched arms up in the air, framed by vertical and horizontal wooden beams... no doubt we'll see Giuseppe start a new thread on this as evidence for his theory shortly!
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ok with the joke :lol: , Ben and GDon, but please read here.

The following words are of the Cardinal Danielou:
The sign of the cross is seen to have its origin, not in an allusion to Christ's passion, but as a signification of His divine glory. Even when it comes to be referred to the cross on which He died, that cross is regarded as the expression of the divine power which operates through his death. and the four arms of the cross are looked on as the symbol of cosmic significance of that redeeming act.

https://books.google.it/books?id=dXWXBg ... ry&f=false

:scratch:

How many Christians still believe that the cross of Christ was a witness to his crucifixion! How many would admit that it denied that witness?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 pm Ok with the joke :lol: , Ben and GDon, but please read here.

The following words are of the Cardinal Danielou:
The sign of the cross is seen to have its origin, not in an allusion to Christ's passion, but as a signification of His divine glory. Even when it comes to be referred to the cross on which He died, that cross is regarded as the expression of the divine power which operates through his death. and the four arms of the cross are looked on as the symbol of cosmic significance of that redeeming act.

https://books.google.it/books?id=dXWXBg ... ry&f=false

:scratch:

How many Christians still believe that the cross of Christ was a witness to his crucifixion! How many would admit that it denied that witness?
ARGUMENT THAT JESUS NEVER EXISTED BASED ON THE ORIGINAL MEANING OF THE CROSS:
  • 1) The cross of the early Christians was (conceived by themselves as) a cross of glory
  • 2) a cross of glory can't be (conceived as) a Roman cross of passion
  • 3) therefore: Jesus didn't exist.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I don't know if it was a "joke" Giuseppe. You are a modern resurrection of Cato. Except your obsessiveness is directed at something stupid and worthless making you all the more execrable
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 am I don't know if it was a "joke" Giuseppe. You are a modern resurrection of Cato. Except your obsessiveness is directed at something stupid and worthless making you all the more execrable
I don't know at all what makes you connect me to... "Cato" (!).

What I know, is your well known (but enigmatic) hostility against mythicists à la Doherty/Carrier.