How is it that the Didache is listed as older Matthew's Gospel if it talks about The Lord's Prayer from The Gospel?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
smilelaughenjoy

How is it that the Didache is listed as older Matthew's Gospel if it talks about The Lord's Prayer from The Gospel?

Post by smilelaughenjoy »

The Gospel of Matthew has The Lord's Prayer and Didache 8:2 makes a reference to Christ commanding people to pray in the manner of The Lord's Prayer.

Didache 8:2 - "Neither pray ye as the hypocrites, but as the Lord hath commanded in his gospel so pray ye: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done as in heaven so on earth. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debt, as we also forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil: for thine is the power, and the glory, for ever."

There is another reference to Matthew's Gospel.

Didache 11:3-4 - "But concerning the apostles and prophets, thus do ye according to the doctrine of the Gospel. Let every apostle who cometh unto you be received as the Lord."

That's a reference to when Christ said to His followers in Matthew 10:40,

"He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me."

Should Didache be listed as older than Matthew's Gospel on the earlychristianwritings website if it clearly makes references to Matthew?
klewis

Re: How is it that the Didache is listed as older Matthew's Gospel if it talks about The Lord's Prayer from The Gospel?

Post by klewis »

Dating these works are in the eyes of the beholder. For example, the first reference is from 'Q' and the second one could be. I don't have my references in front of me to say as much. Also, even if we cannot triangulate the text from Q because there is not a Lukan source, Matthew could have derived it from Q and it was not used by Q.
MrMacSon

Re: How is it that the Didache is listed as older Matthew's Gospel if it talks about The Lord's Prayer from The Gospel?

Post by MrMacSon »

smilelaughenjoy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm
Didache 11:3-4 - "But concerning the apostles and prophets, thus do ye according to the doctrine of the Gospel. Let every apostle who cometh unto you be received as the Lord."

That's a reference to when Christ said to His followers in Matthew 10:40,

"He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me."

Should [the] Didache be listed as older than Matthew's Gospel ...
"the Gospel" in Didache 11:34 might not be G.Matthew. It could be a preceding gospel no longer extant.