The Original Romans 1:21f

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: The Original Romans 1:21f

Post by Secret Alias »

The Instructor has long been recognized to have been corrupted
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Blood

Re: The Original Romans 1:21f

Post by Blood »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:10 am
I think this condemns the Jews for angel worship which is a familiar theme in the Preaching of Peter from the same period. The homosexuality nonsense was added later - probably because of the controversy surrounding Secret Mark.

I think Jesus is referencing himself as the angel 'Man' (= ish) and this explains why Man crucified becomes the new 'idol' of Christianity, a symbol of sublimation.

The whole section is the usual Jew-bashing from Paul. Why he doesn't explicitly mention the Judaioi is a mystery. The homosexuality "nonsense" is not an interpolation. It's an allusion to the Jews doing unnatural things in the Torah and/or Psalms a thousand years earlier. I forget which passages but they're easily found.

Romans 1 is one of the most misunderstood sections in the entire Pauline corpus, mostly by Christians who have always fervently desired it to be about "pagans."
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp