"...and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

"...and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go"

Post by Giuseppe »

John 21:18
Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”

Galatians 2:11-14:
11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

It is the Marcionite Christ who says to Peter: "Someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go". He exploited the case of Antioch - which he knew, as we know it, only by Paul. - He exploits it to his advantage (we know from Tertullian, Adv., Marc. 5: 3 that Marcion liked to play this weapon), and here is the result he gets: "Peter was the first of the Twelve (this from Luke whose marcionites received the gospel). He first followed the path that I had traced for him, he was faithful to the "Follow me". Then, one day, he let himself be led by the Judaizant Jacques. He followed him reluctantly, against his will, by weakness; but he followed him. He has dragged all my other disciples into this pernicious way. Do not listen to them, do not listen to the bishops who follow them (we are about the middle of the second century). Get out of vulgar Christianity which is only a religion of Judaizers. Follow my beloved disciple".

(Delafosse, Le quatrième Evangile, p. 91-92, my free translation)

"someone else" is the Judaizer James.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.