the Shepard of Hermas is a very judaizing work...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

the Shepard of Hermas is a very judaizing work...

Post by Giuseppe »

It seems that somewhere in this work the material richness is re-valued against the Gnostic contempt of it as property of the demiurge.

Note that the embarrassing Logion of Luke 14:26:

If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple

...is of gnostic origin, the converted Yaldabaoth son of the demiurge Sabaoth being one of the first Gnostic deities to have obeyed to this precept of hate the his own mother and father.

Their chief is blind; because of his power and his ignorance and his arrogance he said, with his power, "It is I who am God; there is none apart from me." When he said this, he sinned against the entirety. And this speech got up to incorruptibility; then there was a voice that came forth from incorruptibility, saying, "You are mistaken, Samael" – which is, "god of the blind."

His thoughts became blind. And, having expelled his power – that is, the blasphemy he had spoken – he pursued it down to chaos and the abyss, his mother, at the instigation of Pistis Sophia. And she established each of his offspring in conformity with its power - after the pattern of the realms that are above, for by starting from the invisible world the visible world was invented.

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/hypostas.html
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: the Shepard of Hermas is a very judaizing work...

Post by Giuseppe »

Also the episode of Zaccheus reveals the same Gnostic contempt of the creation of the demiurge, since the fact that Zaccheus has to ascend on the top of a tree to see Jesus means that he has to detach himself from the earth of the demiurge:

19 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.

5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”

8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

(Luke 19:1-10)

Somewhere a Father of Church (Epiphanius) mentions the Zaccheans as gnostic heretics.

Note as the Judaizer replaced the original mention of "Son of God" with the formula "Son of Man", to reiterate the humanity of Jesus against the original docetism of the Earliest Gospel: the same reason why the pre-marcionite "Son of Father" was hated and despised by the Judaizers under the infamous name of "Bar-Abbas". .
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

And naturally also the young rich is exhorted to abandon all the demiurgical creation to follow Jesus, but he was re-valued by the ridicolous Secret Mark.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »