Luke 24:20 proves that Pilate appeared in the original gospel

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Luke 24:20 proves that Pilate appeared in the original gospel

Post by MrMacSon »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:42 pm
To clarify my position, I think the historical Marcion did have a Gospel-like text, be it a proto-John, or something closer to Secret Mark. Why I dispute Gospel of the Lord being his text is due to the opposing natures of the Evangelion and the Apostlikon, and the lat[t]er I believe was definitely his own work.
Interesting. Cheers.

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:42 pm
It may also be that Gospel of the Lord is about Marcion himself, and his follower was trying to glorify his teacher, just as Damis (Demas?) did with Apollonius.

... in actuality we know very little about him and most of the stuff sounds made up.
Cheers, again. I wonder if he is a sockpuppet (or largely a sockpuppet) of Tertulian or whoever really wrote Against Marcion.

Markus Vinzent has noted Marcion was viewed favourably in some early commentary in Marcion and the Dating of the Synoptic Gospels.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Luke 24:20 proves that Pilate appeared in the original gospel

Post by Joseph D. L. »

One thing that Vinzent said in his book that I found incredibly insightful was that Marcion likely had two Gospel texts, one private and one public. I forget the details since it's been three years since I read it.

I think it's clear that Tertullian, writing some sixty years after Marcion's death, was going off of bad information.