Mark.How Much Ironic Contrast,Transfer&Reversal Did He kraM?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

A Lot

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9_MwZIaoc

JW:
Chiasm from the legendary Vorkosigan:

http://www.michaelturton.com/Mark/GMark14.html

14:1-10

Verse Theme Commentary
A
It was now two days before the Passover and the feast of Unleavened Bread. And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to arrest him by stealth, and kill him;
Betrayal
  • B
    for they said, "Not during the feast, lest there be a tumult of the people."
Looking forward
    • C
      And while he was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at table, a woman came with an alabaster flask of ointment of pure nard, very costly, and she broke the flask and poured it over his head.
Anointing The first name moniker, "the leper". And what is the purpose of monikers. To memorialize.
      • D
        But there were some who said to themselves indignantly, "Why was the ointment thus wasted? For this ointment might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii, and given to the poor."
Rebuke -
      • D
        And they reproached her.
Rebuke -
    • C
      But Jesus said, "Let her alone; why do you trouble her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you will, you can do good to them; but you will not always have me. She has done what she could; she has anointed my body beforehand for burying.
Anointing -
  • B
    And truly, I say to you, wherever the gospel is preached in the whole world, what she has done will be told in memory of her."
Looking forward I'll never forget good ol what'sherface. The missing name Marker where there really should be one.
A
Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them.
Betrayal The second name moniker. The takeaway above, as always, is whatever follows "and truly I say to you". Here, memorializing. Our Master Gospeller has, whoever the hell he was, has outdone himself here as within the chiasm with the inner diamond of memorializing, we have the memorializing of the main failure character names in GMark, Simon & Judas, contrasted by what they sandwich, "the woman". This was a Master craftsman who constructed with a very deliberate templeplate and knew that a Gospel with a theme of revelation had to be anonymous (the real Messianic Secret).

Joseph

WOMAN, n.

An animal usually living in the vicinity of Man, and having a
rudimentary susceptibility to domestication. It is credited by
many of the elder zoologists with a certain vestigial docility
acquired in a former state of seclusion, but naturalists of the
postsusananthony period, having no knowledge of the seclusion,
deny the virtue and declare that such as creation's dawn beheld,
it roareth now. The species is the most widely distributed of all
beasts of prey, infesting all habitable parts of the globe, from
Greenland's spicy mountains to India's moral strand. The popular
name (wolfman) is incorrect, for the creature is of the cat kind.
The woman is lithe and graceful in its movement, especially the
American variety (felis pugnans), is omnivorous and can be
taught not to talk.

The New Porphyry
JoeWallack

Hot For Teacher

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7GTu8tbvQ

JW:
Regarding the possible originality of Secret Mark KK pointed out that the exchange between Jesus and the formerly rich young man (so to speak) lacks the usual Markan literary style of negative, ironic switching. One of the few places in GMark that is relatively straightaway forward and positive is the exchange between the Scribe and Jesus. Maybe this was "Mark's" style that the important parts of GMark were straight forward. The text explicitly says that Jesus declared the Passion Plan "plainly". But when you break down what follows it does contain the typical Markan irony:

.[/b]
Verse Summary Commentary
28 And one of the scribes came, and heard them questioning together, and knowing that he had answered them well, asked him, What commandment is the first of all? Impressed by Jesus' answer, a scribe asks Jesus a serious question Again with the switching. An answer prompts a question and the teacher is tested with a question.
29 Jesus answered, The first is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one:
30 and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength.
31 The second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
Jesus answers the question. -
32 And the scribe said unto him, Of a truth, Teacher, thou hast well said that he is one; and there is none other but he:
33 and to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is much more than all whole burnt-offerings and sacrifices.
The scribe says that the teacher passed the test. Yikes! There is only God? Sacrifices are relatively unimportant? This does not sound like Paul or orthodox Christianity. Support that the author is indeed making fun of Christianity.
34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any questionBy questioning the teaching and declaring that the teacher passed the test, Jesus answers that the questioner passed the test. After a Gospel of complicated confusing and indirect teachings that always prompted questions rather than acceptance, when Jesus finally gives a simple clear and direct teaching regarding The Kingdom of God, which Jesus announced was the purpose of his mission, no one asks Jesus any more questions.

Joseph

TECHNICALITY, n. In an English court a man named Home was tried for slander in having accused his neighbor of murder. His exact words were: "Sir Thomas Holt hath taken a cleaver and stricken his cook upon the head, so that one side of the head fell upon one shoulder and the other side upon the other shoulder." The defendant was acquitted by instruction of the court, the learned judges holding that the words did not charge murder, for they did not affirm the death of the cook, that being only an inference. - Principal used by Neil Godfree to defend Oct. 7 Gaza War Crimes.

The New Porphyry
Charles Wilson

Re: Mark.How Much Ironic Contrast,Transfer&Reversal Did He kraM?

Post by Charles Wilson »

JoeWallack wrote ( and neatly boxed):
And truly, I say to you, wherever the gospel is preached in the whole world, what she has done will be told in memory of her.
AND
I'll never forget good ol what'sherface. The missing name Marker where there really should be one.
Ahhh, but I believe we do know her name: "Salome", wife of Jannaeus (not "Salome Alexandra", thank you very much...).

Josephus, Antiquities..., 13, 15, 5:

"After this, king Alexander, although he fell into a distemper by hard drinking, and had a quartan ague, which held him three years, yet would not leave off going out with his army, till he was quite spent with the labors he had undergone, and died in the bounds of Ragaba, a fortress beyond Jordan..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5939094/

"Plasmodium-associated changes in human odor attract mosquitoes" states the article.
We have now a possible reason for breaking a flask of expensive perfume over someone's head. Some people appear to be able to differentiate body odors and the changes of this type, while others can't. Apparently it was hoped that washing away or masking the body odor with perfume would deny a mosquito her host, found by scent.

This doesn't rise to the level of Proof (Sorry, SG...) but is suggestive and consistent with other Jannaeus Stories taken as material for the "Jesus" character in the new (Roman) religion.

CW
StephenGoranson

Re: Mark.How Much Ironic Contrast,Transfer&Reversal Did He kraM?

Post by StephenGoranson »

Or, Mary.
JoeWallack

There's Something About "Mary"

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-QRKKxNcU
StephenGoranson wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:02 am Or, Mary.
JW:
Regarding "Mark's" memorialized and unnamed woman, are you suggesting this was:

1) An identified Mary in GMark?

and/or

2) A historical Mary?

Joseph

"There's a new Sheriff in town. His name's Joseph. Ya'll be cool. Write on."

Skeptical Textual Criticism
JoeWallack

I Dedicate This Sacrifice To The Goddess of Interpretation (KK)

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oEA6zK_8u8

JW:

Sacrifice of John the Baptist Sacrifice of Jesus Commentary
14 And king Herod heard [thereof]; for his name had become known: and he said, John the Baptizer is risen from the dead, and therefore do these powers work in him.
15 But others said, It is Elijah. And others said, [It is] a prophet, [even] as one of the prophets.
16 But Herod, when he heard [thereof], said, John, whom I [1]beheaded, he is risen.
17 For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip`s wife; for he had married her.
18 For John said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother`s wife.
19 And Herodias set herself against him, and [2]desired to kill him; and she could not;
20 for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and kept him safe. And when he heard him, he was much perplexed; and he heard him gladly.
21 And when a convenient day was come, that Herod on his birthday made a supper to his lords, and [3]the high captains, and the chief men of Galilee;
22 and when the daughter of Herodias herself came in and danced, she pleased Herod and them that [4]sat at meat with him; and the king said unto the damsel, Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee.
23 And he sware unto her, Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom.
24 And she went out, and said unto her mother, What shall I ask? And she said, The head of John the Baptizer.
25 And she came in straightway with haste unto the king, and asked, saying, I will that thou forthwith give me on a platter the head of John the Baptist.
26 And the king was exceeding sorry; but for the sake of his oaths, and of them that sat at meat, [5]he would not reject her.
27 And straightway the king sent forth a soldier of his guard, and commanded to bring his head: and he went and beheaded him in the prison,
28 and brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the damsel; and the damsel gave it to her mother.
29 And when his disciples heard [thereof], they came and [6]took up his corpse, and laid it in a tomb.
1 Now after two days was [the feast of] the passover and the unleavened bread: and [3]the chief priests and the scribes sought [2]how they might take him with subtlety, and kill him:
2 for they said, Not during the feast, lest haply there shall be a tumult of the people.
3 And while he was in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, [4]as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster cruse of ointment of pure nard very costly; [and] she brake the cruse, and poured it over [1]his head.
4 But there were some that had indignation among themselves, [saying], To what purpose hath this waste of the ointment been made?
5 For this ointment might have been sold for above three hundred shillings, and given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
6 But Jesus said, [5]Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
7 For ye have the poor always with you, and whensoever ye will ye can do them good: but me ye have not always.
8 She hath done what she could; she hath [6]anointed my body beforehand for the burying.
9 And verily I say unto you, Wheresoever the gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, that also which this woman hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.
10 And Judas Iscariot, he that was one of the twelve, went away unto the chief priests, that he might deliver him unto them.
11 And they, when they heard it, were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought how he might conveniently deliver him [unto them].
Quite a few Textual Markers to link the two stories. In general "Mark" uses John the Baptist to foreshadow Jesus but, as shown here, in a reversing way. For those who need points sharply explained, Herod sacrifices John the Baptist in order to save his Kingdom (for himself) while Jesus will (supposedly) sacrifice himself to save you with God's Kingdom.

Joseph

The New Porphyry