The Logic of Sun Worship

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

The Logic of Sun Worship

Post by Secret Alias »

As someone who spent a lot of time outdoors including sunbathing I've always thought the worship of the sun is entirely rational. The world really does depend on the sun and only the sun for the continued existence of life. As many of you are aware the early depictions of Jesus in both literature and art take on this solar cult. But was this original? Or was it a product of the Imperial effort to get all religions into sun worship?

Another thing. Given the absolute rational foundation of sun veneration, who could be opposed to it? I mean would Christians or Jews die rather than venerate the heavenly orb that really does sustain life on the earth? Would contemporary atheists protest the US government mandate sun worship in schools? I guess what I am asking is that how isn't the sun the ultimate source of everything and thus how is it unworthy to receive royal honors by men and women alike?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: The Logic of Sun Worship

Post by Secret Alias »

Are there reports of Jews or Christians being killed because of their refusal to worship the Sun? I would find it very odd if Jews and Christians didn't worship the sun. Jews especially given the accusation that they worshiped angels.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Here is someone who argues that Justin's famous reference to the 'day of the sun' as the proper day of worship is actually a later forgery

https://www.andrews.edu/library/car/car ... 002_02.pdf
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Here's a book that YHWH had aspects of solarism.

https://www.amazon.com/Yahweh-Sun-Bibli ... oks&sr=1-1

From memory, I think Tertullian addresses the charge of solar worship thrown at Christians.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:48 am As someone who spent a lot of time outdoors including sunbathing I've always thought the worship of the sun is entirely rational. .
For ancient sun worshipers, imagine the impact a total eclipse of the sun would've had.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also see Ezekiel 8:16.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Further, it's easy to show that the sun resides just above the clouds. Construct a triangle from what you see as the sun casts its rays through the clouds and onto the land in the distance.

"We know the distance between the angles of the rays as they strike the land and the triangle converges to its apex just above the clouds. The gods must have a fiery chariot that travels across the sky every day. Powerful are our gods. If we had slightly bigger arrows, we could strike the sun-chariot itself..."

CW