A Non-Transvalued Story

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

A Non-Transvalued Story

Post by Charles Wilson »

1. Well...or not so well...I've lost Ben and that's not good. "Go your own way" makes a great song by Fleetwood Mac (Not as good as "Oh Well, Part 1" but what are you gonna do?). Mebbe the "Go your way and I'll go mine" came out a little harsh. Apologies, Ben.

BTW, Ben, Yes, "Sleep" is used a lot as a cover for "Death" but in describing a specific stoning, the distance required to "objectify" it may come later. "We liquidated the Kulaks" covers a lot but Solzhenitzyn took it a little more personally. Euphemisms. Move on, CW.

2. I still owe Ben a Plausible Start on a Non-Transvalued Story that could be seen as a Jewish Story that was ripped apart and rewritten. The Story may have been written by people such as Nicholas of Damascus or Mucianus or other Roman Functionaries, probably at Caesarea. Side Note: If the Story was written by NoD, M or others (Mucianus was HIGHLY efficient at functioning in Greek) then the Greek Thesis of the complete NT should be verified. If it was a "stolen" Jewish Story then another layer of production should have occurred and be apparent. The Greekies are convinced. The Aramaicists are convinced. I will start. I will also attempt to rewrite my own rewrites in the hope that this time I can make it more readable and acceptable to others

3. Some Rules for Understanding the Construction: If there was a Story that was "Stolen and Rewritten" for a New Religion [no matter the source] , I have used the term "Transvaluation" often to describe this and I think it is appropriately used. The purpose of this exercise is to Un-Transvalue many of the Set Pieces (esp. in Mark) and try to understand them in their time. This means that, to the people in the Stories, there was no "Father, Son and Holy Spirit". There was No Perception that there could have been such a thing. God gave the acceptable Forms of Worship in the Form of the Priesthood and there was no reason to believe otherwise:

Matthew 5: 10, 20. 6: 25 and 34 (RSV):

[10] "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
[20] For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
[25] "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
[34] "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day.

This is Priestly and it comes from someone who has witnessed his mentor and Priest Crucified in battles with the State. It mirrors Ecclesiastes, bitterness and all. We know this because of verses 10 and 20 - "Kingdom of Heaven" is a Transvalued term. We should see that this is not some "Somewhere-Over-the-Rainbow" place. It will be seen that "Realm of Heaven" (Moffatt trans.) is a Real, Physical Place.

This is how far we have to go to revise our (Transvalued) thought.

4.If this is a Story, it must have a beginning. Where to start? This might work:

Luke 9: 51 -62 (RSV):

[51] When the days drew near for him to be received up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.
[52] And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him;
[53] but the people would not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem.
[54] And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to bid fire come down from heaven and consume them?"
[55] But he turned and rebuked them.
[56] And they went on to another village.
[57] As they were going along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."
[58] And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."
[59] To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
[60] But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
[61] Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home."
[62] Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

Verse 51 has been "breathed on" slightly here. We are invited to think of "Jesus" getting ready to go to his death - "received up" is awkward, not to 2000 years of accepted commentary but we are undoing some of this Transvalued material and here is a good place to start. I understand that "...set his face to Jerusalem" is a Semiticism. There must be more linguistix to "the people would not receive him" relating this to "set his face to Jerusalem". It is a Samaritan village which locates this geographically MOL.

Verse 54 is interesting. Who would say, "Lord, do you want us to bid fire come down from heaven and consume them?"? That would be children and to see this requires some cross-references:

Mark 13: 27 (RSV):

[27] And then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.

This verse, BTW, is in the middle of some heavy-duty Constructions. The point, however, is that these are children and they must be there for what is expected. This is because of what we will begin to see in the verses that follow.

This is 12 years after the Conflagration of 4 BCE.

Mark 1: 23 - 24 (RSV):

[23] And immediately there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit;
[24] and he cried out, "What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God."

"What have you to do with us?". This is looking back. 12 years. "Have you come to destroy us?" REMEMBER: Un-Transvalue this!!! These people KNOW who this guy is. "You think we're the same people?!??" Short answer: Yes, they are.

The character "Peter" was a child at the Temple Slaughter of 4 BCE, probably between 8/9 to 12 years old. He is now 12 years older. Peter saved the Priest "through a miracle" and the Priest is now marching on Jerusalem at the insistence of Jairus 12 years later.

There are 2 Stories that have been rewritten and compressed into one.

The Priest is obsessed with obtaining a repetition of the Event that occurred 12 years earlier. Peter, a child, saved the Priest those 12 years ago and children will be required for the Fulfillment of what should come next. "This time will be different."

What follows in verses 56 - 58 strikes me as Authentic Dialogue from somewhere. There exists at least one person who accepts what is about to happen and is OK with it. If it weren't so Tragic it would be fun. Then we get to Those Who Know what is to happen.

59 - 61 lists the excuses of Those Who Know. "We have supported you these 12 years but we're really not in the mood to get murdered right now. I gotta root canal surgery scheduled and I can't miss it, ya' know?" The Transvalued understanding reads about the same: "I'd love to help but..."

AS we move forward, come back to this and see if the unvarnished assertions made have been answered with reasons that are Plausible for an Un-Transvalued Story. I believe that the 10 maids in Matthew 25 and the "Watch" Sequence in Mark ARE telling the same Story. Some of this Story is told from a vantage point 12 years later - at a "Second" Crucifixion.

Thnx,

CW
Last edited by Charles Wilson on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Wilson

Re: A Non-Transvalued Story

Post by Charles Wilson »

I have an hour or so (or until my back blows up) and I am faced with several directions I could travel. I'll pick one.

1. There must be reasons for stating that there are 2 Stories compressed into one. "It simply has to be this way" is insufficient here. A person might give the benefit of the doubt to some of this - that there are certain parallels that obtain from the 4 BCE Atrocity that are reflected in the NT for whatever reason - but to assert 9 CE has a special meaning for the Stories does not immediately make sense. What is special about 9 CE? (4 BCE + `12 years = 9 CE, there being no "Year Zero")

This brings in the Mishmarot Priesthood, the Temple Service and the Priestly Rotations into Jerusalem for the Proper Worship of God:

1 Chronicles 24: 1 - 7, 14 (RSV):

[1] The divisions of the sons of Aaron were these. The sons of Aaron: Nadab, Abi'hu, Elea'zar, and Ith'amar.
[2] But Nadab and Abi'hu died before their father, and had no children, so Elea'zar and Ith'amar became the priests.
[3] With the help of Zadok of the sons of Elea'zar, and Ahim'elech of the sons of Ith'amar, David organized them according to the appointed duties in their service.
[4] Since more chief men were found among the sons of Elea'zar than among the sons of Ith'amar, they organized them under sixteen heads of fathers' houses of the sons of Elea'zar, and eight of the sons of Ith'amar.
[5] They organized them by lot, all alike, for there were officers of the sanctuary and officers of God among both the sons of Elea'zar and the sons of Ith'amar.
[6] And the scribe Shemai'ah the son of Nethan'el, a Levite, recorded them in the presence of the king, and the princes, and Zadok the priest, and Ahim'elech the son of Abi'athar, and the heads of the fathers' houses of the priests and of the Levites; one father's house being chosen for Elea'zar and one chosen for Ith'amar.

[7] The first lot fell to Jehoi'arib, the second to Jedai'ah
[14] the fifteenth to Bilgah, the sixteenth to Immer

We will concern ourselves with the three Groups, Jehoiarib, Bilgah and Immer. Jehoiarib is first, although it might not have first originally. Bilgah and Immer are the last two of the House of Eleazar. The Order was apparently important for the various Groups then and we shall see how important they are now. As stated earlier, each Sabbath, in order, one Group rotates into Jerusalem while the Group that was Serving rotates out. 1 week x 24 Groups = 168 days. Note that this Order provides a measure that is independent of which calendar is used, Luni-Solar or Solar. (Eisenman and Wise, Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered)

The most interesting fact in all of this is that there is a larger Mathematical Object: The Cycle completes a rotation every six years. At the end of this rotation, the Groups begin rotating into the same weeks as at the start of the Cycle. If a given Group is on Duty on a Tuesday of a particular week, that Group will be on Duty on that day six years later - and also 12 years later and so on. Please pay attention to the "12 years" part.

We need to assemble one more part to this to move forward and it is a simple one. You must travel to Jerusalem for your weekly Duty in Mishmarot and if you are covering your part for Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread you must begin traveling before Passover. Passover comes 2 weeks after the New Year begins and in what follows, the "simple subtraction math" that is given might make more sense if the end of this is "8/9 CE".

Why 9 CE is important to the Development of the Un-Transvalued Story:

Our highly respected Poster Ben C. Smith has made an important point about "Coded Stories" vs. "Uncoded Stories". A companion question in this discussion in another Thread might be, "What is coincidence and what is not?' The NT is tailor made for getting into Numeric Nuttery and various travel industries have made much $$$ on people wanting to sail into the middle of the sea to watch the Great Conflagration from afar. They're still waiting, sorta'. What follows may be my Numeric Nuttery. It may be coincidence. I take it as it seems, as a pointer to something that someone wrote to let us know that there was another alternative to the New Religion.

Someone Who Knew.

2. Luke 2: 36 - 38 (RSV):

[36] And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phan'u-el, of the tribe of Asher; she was of a great age, having lived with her husband seven years from her virginity,
[37] and as a widow till she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day.
[38] And coming up at that very hour she gave thanks to God, and spoke of him to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem.

Here we have another Lukan mention of the Courses of Mishmarot. Anna/Hannah is a widow. She is old and not just old - she is very specifically 84 years old (Note: It is very important to see the mentioning of her virginity. Josephus is being very deceptive here, attempting to hide identities. Maybe later...).

Let's play a game. If 8/9 CE is that important and Someone Knows Something, let's subtract 84 years from 8/9 CE and see what we get:

8 - 84 = 8 + (-84) = -76 = 76 BCE. What happened in 76 BCE?

The widow Salome ascends to the Throne after the death of her husband, Alexander Jannaeus (NOT "Salome Alexandra", as Josephus is being deceptive, implying a Levirite Marriage where none may have occurred. For now, this is "Inside Baseball" stuff).

"Who?...What?..." The widow Salome is now Queen of Judea. Enter: The Hasmoneans. Another book length explanation is due but...but...later.

One swallow doth not a spring make so this may indeed be interesting but, "Is that it?"

No.

3. Luke 13: 11 - 13 (RSV):

[11] And there was a woman who had had a spirit of infirmity for eighteen years; she was bent over and could not fully straighten herself.
[12] And when Jesus saw her, he called her and said to her, "Woman, you are freed from your infirmity."
[13] And he laid his hands upon her, and immediately she was made straight, and she praised God.

How could this be anything other than a Magnificent Story of Grand Metaphysics? Let's see:

8 - 18 = 8 + (-18) = -10 = 10 BCE. What happened in 10 BCE? Herod opened the Cloisters in 10 BCE and celebrated a holiday on the anniversary of his ascension. (The proof of the 10 BCE date takes some amount of space to show. If anyone is interested, I might reproduce the derivation. Right now: Trust me.)

Josephus, Antiquities..., 15, 11, 6:

"...for at the same time with this celebration for the work about the temple fell also the day of the king's inauguration, which he kept of an old custom as a festival, and it now coincided with the other, which coincidence of them both made the festival most illustrious."

You celebrate the Temple of God and you worship Herod on the same day. This is the "Spell" from which the woman is being released. There is a War against the Herodians and the Insurrection is centered in the Priesthood. Consider as a Pointer the Man With the Withered Hand, about which more later:

Mark 3: 1 - 6 (RSV):

[1] Again he entered the synagogue, and a man was there who had a withered hand.
[2] And they watched him, to see whether he would heal him on the sabbath, so that they might accuse him.
[3] And he said to the man who had the withered hand, "Come here."
[4] And he said to them, "Is it lawful on the sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?" But they were silent.
[5] And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He stretched it out, and his hand was restored.
[6] The Pharisees went out, and immediately held counsel with the Hero'di-ans against him, how to destroy him.

Much mischief here but notice the absurdity of a part of the Story:

"Is it lawful on the sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?" In a Transvalued Universe of a savior/god, this may make perfect sense. Here, it does not.

"But they were silent".
"We know who you are...Have you come to destroy us?'

"To save life or to kill?' is the absurdity in regards to healing a man with a withered hand. What things are not done by a man with a withered hand? He could not write, perhaps. This is beyond the data but seems reasonable. The Woman is bent over for 18 years. The Man cannot write (again, among other things...). They are being released from their bondage to Herod and the Romans. The Woman may worship freely again. The Man may write freely about what has happened some years ago.

In fact, the Temple will be destroyed and the Proper Worship will be restored in three days - not by a "Jesus" character but by the Priesthood. That was a Promise. Something about Leviticus 26 and God standing with the True Believers...

4. John 2: 19 - 21 (RSV):

[19] Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."
[20] The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?"
[21] But he spoke of the temple of his body.

Lest you think that there was an honorable portrayal and no inversion of Values, look at the howler of verse 21. It is one thing to spring a Metaphorical or Symbolic reading onto an unsuspecting Passage. It is another to give a reasonable interpretation of a Passage when surrounding Stories support the Supposition of Meaning. From this verse has come all sorts of mischief, especially the idea that "Jesus" was 46 years old or that the Temple of Herod took 46 years to build.

8/9 - 46 = around 38/37 BCE. What happened then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_BC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigonus_II_Mattathias

I try to seldom quote the ever politicized Wiki-P but there are some raw basic descriptions given: Antigonus is displaced, then murdered. Herod is installed as King/Ruler/Procurator of the Jews. Read especially the Story of Antigonus. We used to have a Poster named "maryhelena" who made a big deal of the Romans and Antigonus. She was correct in asserting the death of Antigonus being a Big Deal. These Time Markers are all Big Deals. These mark the end of Hasmonean Rule and the marginalization of the Opposition.

5. John 5: 1 - 9 (RSV):

[2] Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Hebrew called Beth-za'tha, which has five porticoes.
[3] In these lay a multitude of invalids, blind, lame, paralyzed.
[5] One man was there, who had been ill for thirty-eight years.
[6] When Jesus saw him and knew that he had been lying there a long time, he said to him, "Do you want to be healed?"
[7] The sick man answered him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is troubled, and while I am going another steps down before me."
[8] Jesus said to him, "Rise, take up your pallet, and walk."
[9] And at once the man was healed, and he took up his pallet and walked.

8 - 38 = 8 + (-38) = -30 = 30 BCE.

Hyrcanus 2 is killed at the hands of Herod. Hyrcanus' Story is well worth reading. He was the eldest son of Alexander Jannaeus, Hasmonean King and High Priest, a name we'll more and more in what follows.

Many see verse 7 as an addition for effect. It may still have value. However, we see with these that there is a Link to the Hasmoneans, who have been displaced. Herod has taken over and, in other Historical News, has seen to it that the Hasmoneans who might Rule, even through the Female Mariamne, have been murdered.

Before Herod's death:

Josephus, Antiquities..., 17, 6, 3:

"And when the king had ordered them to be bound, he sent them to Jericho, and called together the principal men among the Jews; and when they were come, he made them assemble in the theater, and because he could not himself stand, he lay upon a couch, and enumerated the many labors that he had long endured on their account, and his building of the temple, and what a vast charge that was to him; while the Asamoneans, during the hundred and twenty-five years of their government, had not been able to perform any so great a work for the honor of God as that was; that he had also adorned it with very valuable donations, on which account he hoped that he had left himself a memorial, and procured himself a reputation after his death. He then cried out, that these men had not abstained from affronting him, even in his lifetime, but that in the very day time, and in the sight of the multitude, they had abused him to that degree, as to fall upon what he had dedicated, and in that way of abuse had pulled it down to the ground. They pretended, indeed, that they did it to affront him; but if any one consider the thing truly, they will find that they were guilty of sacrilege against God therein..."

This was not perceived, as Josephus contends (He knows better) as a sacrilege against God. These were Acts of War against the people and the Priesthood. It builds until the time just before the death of Herod. Herod is weak, diseased. If he could be taken to the Palace in Jericho, a Coup could be executed. The Herodians could be ejected along with the Romans. If it happened on Passover and the Feast, all of Judea would be in Jerusalem.

How could it possibly fail?

Next: The final 2 Time Markers and the Promise of Release from Unholy Rule
Charles Wilson

Two Time Markers and More

Post by Charles Wilson »

There are two more Time Markers left to examine:

Mark 5: 22 - 43 (RSV):

[22] Then came one of the rulers of the synagogue, Ja'irus by name; and seeing him, he fell at his feet,
[23] and besought him, saying, "My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well, and live."
[24] And he went with him.
And a great crowd followed him and thronged about him.
[25] And there was a woman who had had a flow of blood for twelve years,
[26] and who had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse.
[27] She had heard the reports about Jesus, and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his garment.
[28] For she said, "If I touch even his garments, I shall be made well."
[29] And immediately the hemorrhage ceased; and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease.
[30] And Jesus, perceiving in himself that power had gone forth from him, immediately turned about in the crowd, and said, "Who touched my garments?"
[31] And his disciples said to him, "You see the crowd pressing around you, and yet you say, `Who touched me?'"
[32] And he looked around to see who had done it.
[33] But the woman, knowing what had been done to her, came in fear and trembling and fell down before him, and told him the whole truth.
[34] And he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of your disease."
[35] While he was still speaking, there came from the ruler's house some who said, "Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the Teacher any further?"
[36] But ignoring what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, "Do not fear, only believe."
[37] And he allowed no one to follow him except Peter and James and John the brother of James.
[38] When they came to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, he saw a tumult, and people weeping and wailing loudly.
[39] And when he had entered, he said to them, "Why do you make a tumult and weep? The child is not dead but sleeping."
[40] And they laughed at him. But he put them all outside, and took the child's father and mother and those who were with him, and went in where the child was.
[41] Taking her by the hand he said to her, "Tal'itha cu'mi"; which means, "Little girl, I say to you, arise."
[42] And immediately the girl got up and walked (she was twelve years of age), and they were immediately overcome with amazement.
[43] And he strictly charged them that no one should know this, and told them to give her something to eat.

This is a very long Passage to quote and I humbly request that you read it thoroughly. It is very deep.
Let us first note that this is Symbolic through and through. Women do not get Periods lasting 12 years with no ill effects and then get healed by merely touching garments worn by others. I know, I know...Apologetix can explain anything but let's get Real - and Non-Transvalued. Similarly, dead little girls do not rise from the dead on hearing, "Little girl, I say to you, arise". I know, I know...Apologetix can explain anything and etc., etc.and etc.

Dismissing these problems with a wave of the hands does not solve the problems, however. To say that something carries a Symbolism does not help here. "Jesus" has stated that HE speaks in Parables so that hearing they may not hear and etc. If He speaks in Code and even the "Disciples" cannot figure it out, how can we? So you, dear reader may have to make a decision about your author here. I may completely and totally wrong. "YMMV" - Your mileage may vary. "I ain't promisin' 45 mpg - nor 22 klicks per liter either."

Let us note that in both Stories, "The Woman with the 12 Year Issue of Blood" and "Jairus' Daughter", there is that number 12. Now we note that Mark has several embedded Stories and we are lucky that these 2 are paired. Both have 12 years attached to the characters (and both are female!).

Counting back from the Passover of 9 CE: 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - <No Year Zero> - (-1) - (-2) - (-3) - (-4), that is, 4 BCE.

Now, we still haven't locked in that this is all about the 4 BCE Passover Slaughter and the Passover of 9 CE - We may never get that far in some people's minds but we can present the evidence and try for understanding. Let's give a friendly reading and see:

[22] Then came one of the rulers of the synagogue, Ja'irus by name; and seeing him, he fell at his feet,
[23] and besought him, saying, "My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well, and live."
[24] And he went with him...

Here is a candidate for an alternative beginning to the Story: It is Jairus who initiates the Return to Jerusalem 12 years after the Conflagration at the Temple in 4 BCE. "My daughter is at the point of death" and she is 12 years old. If he was a "President of the Synagogue" (Moffat trans.), it is difficult to believe that he fell at the feet of a Priest (thus, possible insertion here...) but we should move from the actions of a savior/god to the actions of two religious figures. It is really quite an admission! Jairus fomented an Insurrection, if this may be interpreted as a Political Act! Jairus and the Priest are two believers who know the Celestial Mechanics, so to speak. There is an undercurrent here and it is one of foreboding: "We thought we were doing God's Will and the result was thousands of believers died". The Mishmarot Rotations find a Duplicate Passover coming up in 9 CE. "Perhaps we could try one more time".

Jairus sees the End of a Political Movement. Judea is to be absorbed into the Empire. High Priests are now Political Functionaries and the Evil that was Herod has been fulfilled. It is no longer a matter of Life and Death battles against the Corrupt High Priestly Apparatus. With each day the Roman Machine grinds down the Believers. Herod gives out free bread during the Famine and the Priests worry that the receivers of that bread may be corrupted. Years and years of this and it is the Priesthood that is seen as Archaic. The Empire? "Hasn't it always been thus?"

"My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well, and live."

[25] And there was a woman who had had a flow of blood for twelve years,
[26] and who had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse.

We are looking for a Symbolic Tie-In. Does verse 26 give us one?

Acts 5: 36 - 37 (RSV):

[36] For before these days Theu'das arose, giving himself out to be somebody, and a number of men, about four hundred, joined him; but he was slain and all who followed him were dispersed and came to nothing.
[37] After him Judas the Galilean arose in the days of the census and drew away some of the people after him; he also perished, and all who followed him were scattered.

This comes close. If the Markan Passage is known by the Author of Acts, the 9 CE Passover could look back a mere few years to see this as True, but it is not enough yet.
[27] She had heard the reports about Jesus, and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his garment.
[28] For she said, "If I touch even his garments, I shall be made well."
[29] And immediately the hemorrhage ceased; and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease.

Here is a Big Clue. "Jesus" does not heal the Woman. I know, I know. Apologetix. What reports did the Woman hear? Not reports of a savior/god. Have we seen this elsewhere?

Mark 6: 56 (RSV):

[56] And wherever he came, in villages, cities, or country, they laid the sick in the market places, and besought him that they might touch even the fringe of his garment; and as many as touched it were made well.

I assert that this is a Priest who wears the Garments of the Priesthood. It is not the person, it is the Garment. Further, the Matthean quote above tells us not to worry about what we eat, drink or wear. Contradiction? No. Ecclesiastes.

Ecclesiastes 5: 1 - 6 (RSV)

[1] Guard your steps when you go to the house of God; to draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know that they are doing evil.
[2] Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven, and you upon earth; therefore let your words be few.
[3] For a dream comes with much business, and a fool's voice with many words.
[4] When you vow a vow to God, do not delay paying it; for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you vow.
[5] It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay.
[6] Let not your mouth lead you into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was a mistake; why should God be angry at your voice, and destroy the work of your hands?

This will become a very Noir Story very quickly. See also: Catch-22.
[30] And Jesus, perceiving in himself that power had gone forth from him, immediately turned about in the crowd, and said, "Who touched my garments?"
[31] And his disciples said to him, "You see the crowd pressing around you, and yet you say, `Who touched me?'"

Leviticus 15: 19 - 31 (RSV):

[19] "When a woman has a discharge of blood which is her regular discharge from her body, she shall be in her impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening.
[20] And everything upon which she lies during her impurity shall be unclean; everything also upon which she sits shall be unclean.
[21] And whoever touches her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening.
[22] And whoever touches anything upon which she sits shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening;
[23] whether it is the bed or anything upon which she sits, when he touches it he shall be unclean until the evening.
[24] And if any man lies with her, and her impurity is on him, he shall be unclean seven days; and every bed on which he lies shall be unclean.
[25] "If a woman has a discharge of blood for many days, not at the time of her impurity, or if she has a discharge beyond the time of her impurity, all the days of the discharge she shall continue in uncleanness; as in the days of her impurity, she shall be unclean.
[26] Every bed on which she lies, all the days of her discharge, shall be to her as the bed of her impurity; and everything on which she sits shall be unclean, as in the uncleanness of her impurity.
[27] And whoever touches these things shall be unclean, and shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening.
[28] But if she is cleansed of her discharge, she shall count for herself seven days, and after that she shall be clean.
[29] And on the eighth day she shall take two turtledoves or two young pigeons, and bring them to the priest, to the door of the tent of meeting.
[30] And the priest shall offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering; and the priest shall make atonement for her before the LORD for her unclean discharge.

[31] "Thus you shall keep the people of Israel separate from their uncleanness, lest they die in their uncleanness by defiling my tabernacle that is in their midst."

This Story, then, may rightfully be seen as Midrash, a literal Historical Tale that reflects the Failure of the Nation to follow Levitical Form. The Garments of the Priest are worn as the Priests represent the Nation before God at the Temple. Yet, it is the very Priesthood that has been corrupted. Jairus attempted a Coup against Herod and thousands died. The Priest, it will be seen, is not simply a randomly chosen Priest. He survived 12 years ago when John the Greatest Prophet born of Woman, did not. The Priest is Impure for having been touched by the Unclean Woman. He is Impure for having even the fringe of his Garment touched.

[25] "If a woman has a discharge of blood for many days, not at the time of her impurity, or if she has a discharge beyond the time of her impurity, all the days of the discharge she shall continue in uncleanness; as in the days of her impurity, she shall be unclean.
[26] Every bed on which she lies, all the days of her discharge, shall be to her as the bed of her impurity; and everything on which she sits shall be unclean, as in the uncleanness of her impurity.
[27] And whoever touches these things shall be unclean, and shall wash his clothes, and bathe himself in water, and be unclean until the evening.
[30] And the priest shall offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering; and the priest shall make atonement for her before the LORD for her unclean discharge.

Symbolically, it is the Nation that is Unclean and it is Unclean even to the Priesthood. Only the Priesthood may Cleanse the Nation.

NO!!! This is totally Transvalued elsewhere into the story of the savior/god. It is very explicit here: "Who touched my GARMENTS?"
[33] But the woman, knowing what had been done to her, came in fear and trembling and fell down before him, and told him the whole truth.
[34] And he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of your disease."

"Daughter". Remember Luke and the Woman Bent Over for 18 Years:

[16] And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?"
[35] While he was still speaking, there came from the ruler's house some who said, "Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the Teacher any further?"
[36] But ignoring what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, "Do not fear, only believe."

Jairus asks for one more Godly Attempt from the Priest. He accepts. "Do not fear. Only believe' should not have beeen self directed. He survived Death once before. He was spared. He will go back to Jerusalem one more time:

Luke 9: 62 (RSV):

[62] Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."
[37] And he allowed no one to follow him except Peter and James and John the brother of James.

This is for another day - except note that Peter is mentioned as being there.
[38] When they came to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, he saw a tumult, and people weeping and wailing loudly.
[39] And when he had entered, he said to them, "Why do you make a tumult and weep? The child is not dead but sleeping."
[40] And they laughed at him. But he put them all outside, and took the child's father and mother and those who were with him, and went in where the child was.

It is 12 years after the Atrocity of 4 BCE. Jairus' Movement is Dead. The people laugh - or worse: "We have no King but Caesar!"
The Priest, however, has accepted Jairus' Challenge: "The child is not dead but sleeping". Symbolically, all of the people are placed outside. The Healing will occur by the Actions of the Priest.
[41] Taking her by the hand he said to her, "Tal'itha cu'mi"; which means, "Little girl, I say to you, arise."
[42] And immediately the girl got up and walked (she was twelve years of age), and they were immediately overcome with amazement.
[43] And he strictly charged them that no one should know this, and told them to give her something to eat.

The Movement Lives!!! The child shall become the Woman. She was 12 years old.
We come to the end of the "Background Stories" and we need to ask if there is any other support for the "Two Story" Thesis, that there are actually two Passover Stories that have been telescoped into a single story, a story that tells of a savior/god who came into Judea and Galilee and was destroyed only to rise three days later.

Mark 15: 42 (RSV):

[42] And when evening had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath

John 19: 31 (RSV):

[14] Now it was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. He said to the Jews, "Behold your King!"
[15] They cried out, "Away with him, away with him, crucify him!" Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar."
[16] Then he handed him over to them to be crucified.
[17] So they took Jesus, and he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called the place of a skull, which is called in Hebrew Gol'gotha.
[18] There they crucified him, and with him two others, one on either side, and Jesus between them.
[31] Since it was the day of Preparation, in order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath (for that sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

I know, I know. Apologetix.
Charles Wilson

Re: A Non-Transvalued Story

Post by Charles Wilson »

I have finished the Background and would welcome comments.
Next: Early Markan Stories from the Non-Transvalued POV.

CW