If «Pillar» has a revelatory origin, then also «brother of Lord»

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

If «Pillar» has a revelatory origin, then also «brother of Lord»

Post by Giuseppe »

And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing (ἑστηκότων) here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone.

(Mark 9:1-2)

The three pillars of Jerusalem were called pillars in the literal sense of “standing ones,” an allusion to the story of the transfiguration, that is, the promise that some of those then standing there would not die before the coming of the kingdom. Thus the three Jerusalem leaders were called pillars on account of their having witnessed the transfiguration.

James son of Zebedee replaced James the brother of Lord. Since it was James to receive the title of «my brother» by the Risen Christ himself, according to the Gospel of the Hebrews (preserved in St. Jerome, 'De Virr. Illust.,' 2.) : James had made a vow that he would neither eat nor drink till he had seen Jesus risen from the dead, and Jesus, appearing to him, said, "My brother, eat thy bread, for the Son of man is risen from the dead."
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
lsayre

Re: If «Pillar» has a revelatory origin, then also «brother of Lord»

Post by lsayre »

Per John Allegro, if the root of the word translated as Piller by the Greek's is Hebrew, then piller is the correct translation. But if the root is Aramaic, then the proper translation would be dip, or dipper, as in daily bather or perhaps baptist.

In the end, the pillers whom Paul encountered may only have been a group of daily bathers. Robert Eisenman makes much mention of groups of daily bathers who were prominent at the time.
Giuseppe

Re: If «Pillar» has a revelatory origin, then also «brother of Lord»

Post by Giuseppe »

Sorry but what I have written here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5392#p100542

...has persuaded myself definitely about the true origin of the term "Pillars".
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.