Gnostic origin of Luke 14:26 : Sabaoth hated the his father and mother and emptied himself...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Gnostic origin of Luke 14:26 : Sabaoth hated the his father and mother and emptied himself...

Post by Giuseppe »

If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple

(Luke 14:2)

The origin of this logion is the gnostic contempt of this world, in imitation of what Sabaoth did also:

This ruler, by being androgynous, made himself a vast realm, an extent without limit. And he contemplated creating offspring for himself, and created for himself seven offspring, androgynous just like their parent. And he said to his offspring, "It is I who am god of the entirety."

And Zoe (Life), the daughter of Pistis Sophia, cried out and said to him, "You are mistaken, Sakla!" – for which the alternative name is Yaltabaoth. She breathed into his face, and her breath became a fiery angel for her; and that angel bound Yaldabaoth and cast him down into Tartaros below the abyss.

Now when his offspring Sabaoth saw the force of that angel, he repented and condemned his father and his mother, matter. He loathed her, but he sang songs of praise up to Sophia and her daughter Zoe. And Sophia and Zoe caught him up and gave him charge of the seventh heaven, below the veil between above and below. And he is called 'God of the forces, Sabaoth', since he is up above the forces of chaos, for Sophia established him.

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/hypostas.html

Hence the disciples who abandon rapidly Zebedee to follow Jesus are really imitating Sabaoth, by rejecting the demiurge Yaldabaoth.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.