Simon Magus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Simon Magus

Post by Ben C. Smith »

The statue is a famous misunderstanding. It seems to have been dedicated to Semo Sancus, not to Simon Magus.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:36 pm The statue is a famous misunderstanding. It seems to have been dedicated to Semo Sancus, not to Simon Magus.
Right, but it is a (relatively late) misunderstanding (i.e, "post-Acts speculation") shared by Justin and the Acts of Peter.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

For me the bottom line is if everything else is post-Acts speculation and all we are left with is Acts, then I don't see any reason why Simon Magus couldn't be Josephus' Simon.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Saw another Simon Magus / Jesus parallel today..

This is referencing the story that Simon met Helena in Tyre and Jesus's own visit there where he meets an unnamed woman and her daughter
So, Simon refers to Helena as the 'lost sheep' according to the church fathers
In the NT story Jesus says "I was only sent to the lost sheep of Isreal"

Likewise, the daughter (the lost sheep) was demon possessed, the same ailment attributed to Mary Magdalene
Furthermore even the disciples lament "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us" could be understood as a Mary engaging in post-crucifixion preaching