Why Pilate? Because of: “PâLaT bar-Abbas” : “Free Barabbas!”

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why Pilate? Because of: “PâLaT bar-Abbas” : “Free Barabbas!”

Post by Giuseppe »

Is a mere “coincidence” the fact that PiLaTe does precisely what the crowd wants he does in virtue of the Jewish meaning of the his name?

pâlaṭ, paw-lat'; a primitive root; to slip out, i.e. escape; causatively, to deliver:—calve, carry away safe, deliver, (cause to) escape.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/le ... ongs=h6403
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Secret Alias

Re: Why Pilate? Because of: “PâLaT bar-Abbas” : “Free Barabbas!”

Post by Secret Alias »

You still don't get it. Unless the crowd was calling out to Bar Abbas TO escape the verb can't be related to the root PLT. In other words, since the call is to Pilate TO free or liberate Bar Abbas it can't be PLT.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The Peshitta for Matthew 27:17
And when they were assembled, Pilatos said to them, Whom will you that I release (d'eshre/ἀπολύσω) unto you, Bar-aba, or Jeshu who is called the Meshicha ?
Matthew 27:21
And the governor answered and said to them, Whom will you that I shall release (d'eshre/ἀπολύσω) to you of these two? Then they said, Bar-aba.
šry vb. to loosen; D to begin

G View a KWIC

1 to loosen, untie Com. Dan5:16 : וְקִטְרִין לְמִשְׁרֵא ‏ . 11QtgJob 32.5=39:5 : מן שלח פראה ברחרין וחנקי ערדא מן שרא ‏ who set the wild ass free and untied the onager's choke-ropes. TgJ Is58:6 : שְרוֹ קִטרֵי כְתָבֵי דִין מַסטֵי ‏ untie the knots of perverted legal texts. P Gn24:32 : ܘܫܼܪܐ ܡܢ ܓܡ̈ܠܐ‏ . P Ex3:5 : ܫܪܝ ܡܣ̈ܢܝܟ‏ untie your shoes. BT BM 108b(27) : הני צירי והני שרו ‏ these (coins) are tied [i.e. are in a sealed package], and those are untied. PJ Gen50:11 : ושריין קמורי חרציהון ‏ they were loosening their loin belts. (a) to destroy, break CPA, Syr. AphDem13.242:21 : ܕܫܪܝܢ ܫܒܬܐ‏ . IJn3:8 : ܐܸܬܚܙܝܼ ܒܪܸܗ ܕܲܐܠܵܗܵܐ܃ ܕܢܸܫܪܸܐ ܥܒܵܕܲܘܗ̱ܝ̈ ܕܣܵܛܵܢܵܐ‏ the Son of God appeared to destroy the works of Satan. (a.1) to abolish, to annul Gal, Syr. IIMac13:25 : ܘܨܒܝܢ ܗܘܘ ܕܢܫܪܘܢ ܩܝܡܐ ܕܐܩܝܡܘ ܥܡܗܘܢ‏ they wanted to annul the treaty they had established with them. 1 fig.: to repudiate, violate Syr. OS JnCur5:18 : ܡܛܠ ܕܫܪܐ ܗܘܐ ܫܒܬܐ‏ because he had violated the sabbath. LG 8:2(2) : ܘܕܲܠܡܵܐ ܫܠܼܝܚܵܐ ܡܸܠܲܘ̈ܗ̱ܝ ܕܡܵܪܲܢ ܫܵܪܸܐ܃ ܚܵܣ ܠܲܘ ܡܸܫܪܵܐ ܫܵܪܸܐ‏ perhaps the apostle repudiates the Lord's words; God forbid, he surely does not repudiate. JulSok 347(170):3 : ܫܪܝܬܘܢ ܫܝܢܐ ܕܒܝܬ ܡ̈ܠܟܘܬܐܼ‏ you have undone the peace of the realms. (a.2) fig.: to refute (a position) Syr. BHMQ 5.4.2.2 : ܠܗܠܝܢ ܬܪ̈ܝܢ ܣܥ̈ܝܐ ܂܂܂ ܫܿܪܐ‏ these two objections ... he refutes. (a.3) to liquefy, to melt something, dissolve Gal, Syr, JBA. PTŠab10.b:48[2] : שרי זיפות שרי מוסרין ‏ (the one who) melts pitch or melts .... BT Git 69b(28) : למישרי סיסין יבישת׳ במיא ‏ to infuse dry chamomile in water. 1 to release from a spell Gal. PTMQ81.d:44[2] : אמ׳ לון שרון לי אמרון ליה שרי לן ונן ‏ he said to them: Release me. They said to him: Release us, and we will release you. (a.4) to quiet Sam, Syr. SamTgJ Ex32:11 : ושרה משה ית רגז יהוה ‏ Moses quieted the Lord's wrath. (a.5) to kill Syr. P Mt26:61 : ܕܸܿܐܫܪܸܐ ܗܲܝܟܿܠܵܐ‏ . (a.6) w. ܡܢ‏ : to unload Syr. AGnEx 103.28 : ܕܡܣܪܗܒܝܢ ܠܡܫܪܐ ܡܼܢ ܒܥܝܪܗܘܢ ܘܠܡܥܠܘ ܡܐܢܝ̈ܗܘܢܼ‏ who were hurrying to unload their beasts and bring in their baggage. (a.7) + ܐܣܪ‏ : to loosen and tie up = to be in control Syr. P 1K(1)14:10 : ܟܠ ܕܬܐܢ ܒܐܣܬܐ܂ ܘܕܐܣܪ ܘܫܪܐ ܒܐܝܣܪܝܠ‏ . JSBhom 125:288 : ܫܵܪܸܐ ܘܵܐܣܲܪ ܘܲܡܩܲܦܲܚ ܠܵܟ ܒܲܥܒܼܝܕ̈ܵܬܸܗ‏ (the mind) is controlling you and keeping you busy with its actions. (b) to open Syr. Balai 6:10 : ܥܠ ܬܪܥܟ ܩܿܡܬ ܒܠܠܝܐ ܘܒܐܝܡܡܐܼ܂ ܕܢܣܿܝܬ ܕܠܐ ܫܿܪܝܼܬ ܡܓܢ ܠܢܩ̈ܘܫܐܿ‏ I stood at your gate night and day, for I tried not to have opened to those knocking for no reason. (b.1) metaph. to expound, interpret Syr. 1 to solve a set of problems Syr. BHchr II.443.1f, 443.19f. see discussion by Takahashi, Bibliography p. 84n.316. (b.2) to open the meal with a blessing JBA. (b.3) to celebrate (the masiqta) Man. ATS 1.1:281 : ganzibra ḏšaria masiqta the "treasurer" who is celebrating the "ascension". (c) to dismiss Gal, CPA, Syr. P 1S13:2 : ܫܪܐ ܐܢܘܢ ܐܢܫ ܠܒܝܬܗ‏ . P Mt14:23 : ܫܪܵܐ ܠܟܼܸܢ̈ܫܸܐ‏ . (c.1) to remove Syr. Add 39:6 . (c.2) to turn aside, turn away Syr. P Mt5:31 : ܡܲܢ ܕܿܫܵܪܸܐ ܐܲܢ̱ܬܿܬܼܸܗ‏ . Dalyatha 15:2 : ܐܝܟ ܥܿܒܪ ܐܘܪܚܐ ܡܢ ܬܪܥܐ ܫܿܪܐ ܠܟ ܡܪܐ ܒܝܬܐ‏ the householder will turn you away from the door like a passer-by [=JDalBeulay 96:5]. 1 to divorce Syr. OS MtSin5:32 : ܡܢ ܕܫܪܐ ܐܢܬܬܗ ܕܠܐ ܐܬܐܡܪ ܥܠܝܗ ܓܘܪܐ ܗܘܝܘ ܡܓܝܪ ܠܗ‏ one who dismisses his wife who has not been charged with adultery entices her to adultery. (c.3) to exclude Syr. SRRechtsb 34:4 . (c.4) to weigh anchor Syr. PetrIb 112:17; . (c.5) to adjudicate Syr, JBA. JSB4 122:13 : ܐܝܕܥܬܐ ܕܫܪܝܐ ܕܝ̈ܢܐ‏ the wisdom that adjudicates disputes. (d) to soften Man. AM 139:14 : uqupra lmišria ulmišdia biama and to soften (a boat's) pitch and put it into the sea.

2 to permit Gal, JBA, LJLA. PTYom43.d:21[2] : כד שרית לי אזלת לה ‏ when you permitted me (to drink, the thirst) went away. BT AZ 37a(13) : התם שרא תלת הכא מר חדא הוא דשרא ואי נמי שרא מר אחריתי אכתי תרתי נינהו ‏ in that case he permitted three (things); in this case you have permitted one.; but if you have permitted another one, they are still two. (a) to forgive, absolve of obligation Gal, LJLA. PJ Ex34:7 : שרי ושביק על חובין ‏ He absolves and forgives concerning sins. PJ Num30:3 : ברם בית דינא שרן ליה ואין לא שרו ליה ככל מה דיפוק מפמיה יעביד ‏ but the court may absolve him, but if they did not absolve him he must do just as all that comes out of his mouth. (b) to allay Syr.

3 intrans. Com. (a) to inhabit, dwell Com. 1QapGen 22.8 : ואשכח אנון שרין בבקעת דן ‏ he found them dwelling (or: encamped) in the valley of Dan. P Gn25:18 : ܥܠ ܬܚܘܡܐ ܕܟܠܗܘܢ ܐܚ̈ܘܗܝ ܫܼܪܐ‏ . P Ex10:14 : ܫܼܪܐ ܒܟܠܗ ܬܚܘܡܐ ܕܡܨܪ̈ܝܐ‏ . BT Šab 87a(15) : דלא שראי שכינה עד צפרא דשבתא ‏ the Divine Presence did not dwell (on Mt. Sinai) until the morning of the Sabbath. PJ Gen26:2 : שרי בארעא דאימר לך ‏ dwell in the land I tell you. (a.1) to set up camp Qumran, JLAtg, CPA, Syr, LJLA. TgO Ex18:5 : לְמַדבְרָא דְהוּא שָרֵי תַמָן ‏ to the desert where he had set up camp. P Ex14:9 : ܐܕܪܟܘ ܐܢܘܢ ܟܕ ܫܼܪܝܢ ܥܠ ܝܡܐ‏ they overtook them when they were camping at the sea. PJ Gen33:18 : ושרא לקבל קרתא ‏ he camped facing the city. 3 of the dwelling place, i.e. to be dwelled in JLAtg. TgJ Jer33:16 : וִירוּשלַם תִשרֵי לְרוּחצָן ‏ . (a.2) (demons) + ˁl : to possess someone Man. (b) to come to an end Syr. Pel 4.31 : ܫܪܬ ܥܕܬܐ‏ church was over. (c) to be sent ? Syr. Pel 4:31 .

4 p.p. : loose, abundant : see s.v. šry adj. Com.

D View a KWIC

1 to begin Com. Ezra5:2 : וְשָׁרִיו לְמִבְנֵא בֵּית אֱלָהָא ‏ . 4QEna1.3.19 : ו֗שריו לקטלה לאנשא ‏ they began killing people. TgO Gen6:1 : וַהֲוָה כַד שָרִיאוּ בְנֵי אֲנָשָא לְמִסגֵי עַל אַפֵי אַרעָא ‏ when humans had begun to increase over the surface of the earth. (a) + partciple : to begin to do Gal, CPA, Sam, Syr. TgO Deut1:5 : בְעִברָא דְיַרדְנָא בארעא דְמוֹאָב שָרִי מֹשַה פָרֵיש יָת אוּלפָן אוֹרָיתָא הָדָא ‏ . BR 48:2(1) : אתת מילה ושורון דחכין ‏ something happened and they began to laugh . TN Num17:11 : שרי חבלה מחבל בעמא ‏ . Marqe 1.552 : צפה פרעה לסיעתה ושרי ממלך מה יעבד ‏ Pharaoh looked at his cohort and began to take advice as to what to do. P 1S3:2 : ܥܝܢ̈ܘܗܝ ܫܪܝ ܝܩܪ̈ܢ‏ his eyes had begun to be dim. (b) to put into service, use Man.

2 to untie, loosen JLAtg, Syr, LJLA. TgJ Jer40:4 : הָא שַרִיתָך יוֹמָא דֵין מִן עִזקַיָא דְעַל יְדָך ‏ now I have freed you today from your handcuffs. PJ Gen24:32 : ושרי זממי גמלייא ‏ he untied the camels’ muzzle-reins. (a) fig. BADan. Dan5:12 : מְפַשַּׁר חֶלְמִין וַאַחֲוָיַת אֲחִידָן וּמְשָׁרֵא קִטְרִין ‏ he interprets dreams and the explanation of riddles and he unties knotty things. (b) w. קדם ‏ : to forgive JLAtg. TgJ 2Sam18:14 : הְלָא מִבְכֵין אְנָא אְשָרֵי קְֹדָמָך ‏ should I therefore forgive you?.

3 to destroy Syr. Chran1 76:12 . (a) to abolish Syr. JulSok 69(31):21 : ܡܕܝܢܬܢ ܓܝܪ ܐܝܬܝܗܿ ܪܝܫ ܐܘܚܕܢܐ ܟܘܠܗ ܕܡܠܟܘܬܢܿ ܘܐܢ ܡܢܢ ܡܫܪܝܐ‏ for our city is head of all the authority of our realm, so if it is removed from us .... (a.1) to debilitate Syr. am4 531:10 . (a.2) to remove from office Syr. IVMac4:16 : ܗܼܘ ܗܢܐ ܫܪܝܗܝ ܠܚܘܢܝܐ ܡܢ ܪܒܘܬ ܟܗܢܘܬܐ‏ this very one removed Onias from the high priesthood.

C View a KWIC

1 to make to dwell JLAtg, Gal, PTA, Sam, Syr, BabMBK, JBA, Man, LJLA. TgO Gen2:15 : וֻדבַר יוי אֲלֹהִים יָת אָדָם וְאַשרִיֵיה בְגִינְתָא דְעֵדַן ‏ . TgO Deut32:10 : אַשרֵינוּן סְחוֹר סחור לִשכִינְתֵיה ‏ He let them dwell surrounding His presence. P Nm14:30 : ܠܐ ܬܥܠܘܢ ܠܐܪܥܐ ܕܐܪܝܿܡܬ ܐܝܕܝ ܠܡܫܪܝܘܬܟܘܢ ܒܗܿ‏ you shall not enter the land I set out to make you dwell in. JBAmb2 59:6 : ואשרי שכינתיה בימרומי עילאי מן שבעה רקיעין ‏ He made his Divine Presence dwell in the heights higher than seven firmaments. BT Šab 67a(21) : משום דמיכאת מכל אילני אשרי קדיש׳ שכינתיה עלך ‏ because you are the lowest of all the trees did the Holy One cause his Divine Presence to dwell upon you. GS 50:25 : blbuš pagra man ašrun who has made me dwell in a bodily garment?. (a) to ascribe as dwelling somewhere Syr. AGnEx 22.28 : ܐܠܐ ܠܒܗܡܘܬ ܐܝܘܒ ܒܝܒܫܐ ܡܫܪܐ ܠܗ‏ but Job puts the dwelling place of Behemoth on dry land. (b) to tell to dwell Syr. P Gn19:16 : ܘܐܫܪܝܘܗܝ ܠܒܪ ܡܢ ܩܪܝܬܐ‏ . (c) w. ܒ‏_ : fig. : to instill in Syr. VRabb 193:23 .

2 to establish Syr. JohEphLES 402:11 . (a) to position for a stay JLAtg, Syr. TgO Gen24:11 : וְאֲשרִי גַמלַיָא מִבַרָא לְקַרתָא ‏ he positioned the camels outside the city. P Ez40:2 : ܘܐܫܪܝܢܝ ܥܠ ܛܘܪܐ‏ .

3 to lead, guide Gal, Syr. PTKet35.a:22[2] : וא{י}שרוניה תמני עשרה כני{ס}<ש>ן ‏ they carried it to eighteen synagogues. P Ex13:21 : ܠܡܫܪܝܘ ܐܢܘܢ ܒܐܘܪܚܐ‏ .

Gt View a KWIC

1 to be loosened, untied Com. TgJ Is5:27 : לָא יְנוּם וְלָא יִדמוּך וְלָא יִשתְרֵי זְרָז חַרצֵיה וְלָא תִתפְסֵיק עַרקַת מְסָנֵיה ‏ he neither slumbers nor lies down, and the girdle of his loins is not untied nor the strap of his sandal opened up. OS MkSin7:35 : ܘܐܫܬܪܝ ܐܣܘܪܐ ܕܠܫܢܗ ܘܡܠܠ ܗܘܐ ܦܫܝܩܐܝܬ‏ the tie of his tongue was untied and he spoke plainly. (a) to be liberated Syr. WisSol2:1 : ܘܠܐ ܐܬܓܠܝ ܗܿܘ ܕܐܫܬܪܝ ܡܢ ܫܝܘܠ‏ someone who was liberated from Sheol has not been revealed. (a.1) to be dismissed Syr. P Gn44:3 : ܐܫܬܪܝܘ ܓܒܪ̈ܐ ܠܡܐܙܠ‏ . (a.2) to be judged innocent, forgiven of a crime Syr. OS LkSin6:37 : ܠܐ ܬܕܘܢܘܢ ܕܠܐ ܬܬܕܝܢܘܢ ܠܐ ܬܚܝܒܘܢ ܕܠܐ ܬܬܚܝܒܘܢ܂ ܫܪܘ ܘܬܫܬܪܘܢ‏ . (a.3) to be released from a spell Gal. PTMQ81.d:60[2] : וצרכון מישתרייא אילין מן אילין ‏ they needed to be released by one another. 1 + ב ‏_ : (of a demon) to be released by a spell BabMBK. JBABowl 105.1:5 : כל רוחי תמישתרין בחרשי בישי ובמעבדי תקיפי ‏ all spirits that are released by evil sorceries and powerful spells. (b) to be dismantled, undone Syr. OS MtSin24:2 : ܠܐ ܬܫܬܒܩ ܗܪܟܐ ܟܦܐ ܥܠ ܟܐܦܐ ܕܠܐ ܬܫܬܪܐ‏ there shall not be left here one stone upon another that shall not be dismantled. JSBhom 125:222 : ܘܸܐܠܽܘ ܚܲܝܠܸܗ ܫܒܲܩ ܠܲܒܪܼܝܬܵܐ ܡܸܫܬܲܪܝܵܐ ܗ̄ܘܵܬ‏ if His power abandoned creation, it would have become undone.

2 to be dissolved CPA, Syr. (a) to be liquefied Syr.

3 to be finished, come to an end [of something requiring construction to establish it] Syr. IIIMac1:2 : ܗܟܢܐ ܢܫܬܪܐ ܩܪܒܐ‏ thus the war would be finished. PhiloxTrin 42a:13 : ܘܟܕ ܐܫܬܪܝܬܿ ܣܘܢܢܕܘܣ ܘܐܙܠ ܟܠܢܫ ܠܐܬܪܗ ‏ when the synod was finished and everyone went back home.

4 to be removed, abrogated Syr. AGnEx 46.20 : ܕܠܐ ܗܟܝܠ ܓܙܪ ܕܝܢܐ ܕܡܘܬܐ ܢܫܬܪܐ‏ . (a) (law) to be violated Syr. OS JnSin7:23 : ܡܛܠ ܕܠܐ ܢܫܬܪܐ ܢܡܘܣܐ ܕܡܘܫܐ‏ so that the Law of Moses not be violated. (b) to be deleted Syr.

5 to be permitted Gal, Syr, JBA. PalLaws1(1) 28:34 : אסיר לך למכוס יתה עד יתיילד לה מום וישתרי למכו ‏ it is forbidden to slaughter it (i.e. the firstborn animal) until a blemish appears, and then it is permitted to slaughter. BT Men 6a(28) : בעל מום נמי בעופות אישתרויי אישתרי ‏ a blemished one among the birds was also certainly permitted (to be offered).

6 to inhabit Syr. PO4 356:2 . (a) to pitch camp Syr. am4 513:1 .

7 to be decided CPA.

8 fig. : to become upset Syr. IIMac14:28 : ܘܟܕ ܫܡܥ ܕܝܢ ܢܝܩܢܘܪ ܐܓܪܬܐ ܐܫܬܪܝ ܗܘܐ ܘܐܬܥܝܩ ܣܓܝ‏ then when PN heard the letter he was very upset and troubled.

Dt View a KWIC

1 to be begun Syr. JSB2 302:4 .

2 to be loose BADan. Dan5:6 : רַעְיֹנֹהִי יְבַהֲלוּנֵּהּ וְקִטְרֵי חַרְצֵהּ מִשְׁתָּרַיִן ‏ his thoughts were disturbing him and the knots of his loins were becoming untied [this is an common NW Semitic expression of nervous tension and fear, not necessarily loose bowels!]. (a) to be dissolved Syr.

3 to have a meal Syr. P Lk11:37 : ܒܥܵܐ ܡܸܢܸܗ ܦܪܝܼܫܵܐ ܚܲܕ ܕܢܸܫܬܲܪܸܐ ܠܘܵܬܸܗ‏ a Pharisee invited him to dine with him. P Jn21:12 : ܬܲܘ ܐܸܫܬܲܪܲܘ‏ Come, eat breakfast..
It is true that because the Greek has ἀπολύσω it might have been tied to some mystical doctrine - i.e. 'redemption.' But it has nothing to do with the root PLT.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

If you want my opinion, the 'redemption' of the Son of the Father may well have something to do with apolytrosis (redemption). The greater likelihood is to look at the root $ry.

http://cal.huc.edu/showjastrow.php?page=1629
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:54 am You still don't get it. Unless the crowd was calling out to Bar Abbas TO escape the verb can't be related to the root PLT. In other words, since the call is to Pilate TO free or liberate Bar Abbas it can't be PLT.
The coincidence between Palat and Pilate is too much great to be ignored.
I don't see a difference between "free Barabbas!" and Psalm 17:13:
Arise, O LORD, confront him, bring him low;
Deliver [palat] my soul from the wicked with Your sword,

Here the meaning is the same: "my soul" is the accusative, just as "Barabbas". God works as Pilate here,
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

No it's not. There is always a probability that similarities are coincidental. You should learn that. In this case - as I noted before - the parallel between PLT and PYLTWS is not that great.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

In order to become a fully functioning human being you have to learn to distinguish (a) what you want to be true from (b) what might actually be true. This involves curbing your impulses - i.e. overcoming yourself.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:21 am No it's not. There is always a probability that similarities are coincidental. You should learn that. In this case - as I noted before - the parallel between PLT and PYLTWS is not that great.

True, but a particular detail does the difference, here. Pilate works as “releaser” of a prisoner per “the custom at the festival”.

That custom could only be the festival of Yom Kippur: it is the only festival when someone is “released” by making him to escape in the wilderness, i.e. the evil goat.

So Pilate is already a “releaser” in virtue of that detail that is not a coincidence. PLT confirms what is already an impossible “coincidence”.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But Pilate is specifically identified as 'releasing' 'untying' or 'loosening' Pilate. If the crowd yelled something related to PLT it would be 'run away' or 'escape Bar Abbas!' Why can't you get that?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:43 am But Pilate is specifically identified as 'releasing' 'untying' or 'loosening' Pilate. If the crowd yelled something related to PLT it would be 'run away' or 'escape Bar Abbas!' Why can't you get that?
"Escape Bar-Abbas" and "cause Barabbas to escape" are perfectly equivalent to me.

Psalm 116:4 :
Then I called on the name of the LORD: "LORD, save [MLT] me!

MLT is equivalent to PLT here insofar it means "make X to escape". It can't be a coincidence that Pilate is just the guy who would like Jesus to escape, viz., that would like that Jesus is saved from the cross.