Jerome on Galatians 3:6-9 (about Abraham)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

Jerome on Galatians 3:6-9 (about Abraham)

Post by DCHindley »

Daniel Jon Mahar, in his online PDF English Reconstruction and Translation of Marcion's version of To The Galatians, footnote 13 on the omission of Gal. 3:6-9 from Marcion's text, cites:
Hieronymus VII,4:22 (Zahn, Geschichte, p.499 “From this place all the way up to where it is written “they which are of the faith, are blessed with faithful Abraham” (v.9), Marcion erased from his apostle...”.
Unfortunately, Hieronymus Jerome's commentary on Galatians has only recently been translated into English, and there is no preview in Amazon or Google Books. I am trying to determine exactly where in this commentary this statement is made (in Latin, of course).

The Latin text of Commentariorum In Epistolam Beati Pauli Ad Galatas is supposed to be in Migne's Patrologia Latinae vol 26, section 377. So, not yet having tried to look it up, I ask "what the hell does 'VII,4:22' mean?" Does this commentary have at least seven books? All the egg-heads cavalierly speak about it as if even the wash ladies in Latvia knows where to find this passage. To be honest, I am stumped, and vol 26 will not download from archive.org

FWIW, Jerome is supposedly following a lost commentary of Origen here.

DCH
stephan happy huller

Re: Jerome on Galatians 3:6-9 (about Abraham)

Post by stephan happy huller »

There is an English translation in Google Books.
Everyone loves the happy times
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

I found it here:
http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/0 ... T.pdf.html

I found it at the top of column 352, the very end of section 422 ... (Vers. 6.) Sicut Abraham credidit Deo, et reputatum est illi ad justitiam. Ab hoc loco usque ad eum ubi scribitur: Qui ex fide sunt benedicentur cum fideli Abraham, Marcion de suo Apostolo erasit.

(Verse 6) Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him unto justice. From this point down to where it is written, they that are of faith, shall be blessed with faithful Abraham [vs. 9], Marcion, in his [version of the] Apostle, has erased.

Because the Latin of vss 6 & 9 are exactly as found in the Biblia Sacra Iuxta Vulgatam Versionem (Vulgate Latin Bible), I used the Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition for the English, and Google translate for the rest.

DCH

PS: I hate Patristic citations. I think that Migne's PL has come out in several editions, so perhaps the column numbers could differ between them..
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

stephan happy huller wrote:There is an English translation in Google Books.
I gave Mahar's English translation in the OP. I just wanted to know what the f*** he was citing. I'm starting to think that "VII,4.22" must be a corruption, as it *is* in a section 422. However, there were three books and this occurs at the end of book one. < :twisted: grumble>

DCH
Last edited by DCHindley on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephan happy huller

Hurray! In the future I think Schmid's Marcion und Sein Apostolos would likely have the original reference.
stephan happy huller

stephan happy huller

This is scary cool. Bilingual Greek and Latin critical edition of the New Testament. I've got to put this in my bookmarks.

http://books.google.com/books?id=AsdTQB ... 22&f=false
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Detering also cites it in "The Original Version of the Epistle to the Galatians". He writes his citation as Jer. CommGal (PL 26 [1845] 352A, 2-4).

Yeah, I hate Patristic/Classical citations too. Much of the time they're ambiguous to amateurs like me, or even just plain wrong.