Why "Egypt" is "where also their Lord was crucified"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Why "Egypt" is "where also their Lord was crucified"

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 pm to Ben,
I agree completely. No exception was made. I said I doubted this chapter was by the same hand as the others.
Are you saying there were some strictly Jewish interpolations on a text initially written by a Jewish Christian?
No. I am suggesting that a thoroughly Jewish text (basically what we have in the early going of chapter 11, was stuck into a Christian text and interpolated at a later time.
However, earlier Jewish texts being Christianized were fairly common, as I found out in the Dichache, a big chunk of 1 Clement, the Ascension of Isaiah, some books of Enoch, etc.

Agreed. And that is what I am suggesting here. It is just that I do not agree with you on exactly which parts were Jewish and which parts were Christian. I think, for example, that "where the(ir) Lord was crucified" is a Christian addition.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
I notice you did not answer my question: did you read my page on Revelation?

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm to Ben,
I notice you did not answer my question: did you read my page on Revelation?

Cordially, Bernard
You always ask me this question, and the answer is always the same: yes, I read it, but it has been a while. In this case, however, I did go back and reread some of it on this topic.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ