Thomas L Brodie on Ehrman's 'Did Jesus Exist?'and oral traditions

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Irish1975

Re: Thomas L Brodie on Ehrman's 'Did Jesus Exist?'and oral traditions

Post by Irish1975 »

I don't have any of his books handy, but I think the latest one about triumph of Christianity reflects this attitude.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Irish1975 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:11 pm ... I wonder what [Brodie's] doing these days ...
He would be about 76 yrs of age now. He was sanctioned after the publication of 'Quest' but, at the time of publication of the ruling, he "remained a brother of the Irish Province, and the Province continues to care for him and provide for him" - https://www.sott.net/article/293184-Iri ... g-to-media
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

MrMacSon wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:26 am
Irish1975 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:11 pm ... I wonder what [Brodie's] doing these days ...
He would be about 76 yrs of age now. He was sanctioned after the publication of 'Quest' but, at the time of publication of the ruling, he "remained a brother of the Irish Province, and the Province continues to care for him and provide for him" - https://www.sott.net/article/293184-Iri ... g-to-media
Wow, thanks.

What is most embarrassing for the Order and the Church is that they didn't have any awareness until after publication that one of their own spent his life's work, both in writing and in teaching, on the ultimate faith-busting heresy. The whole controversy starts well after the publication in Fall of 2012.
The book, which took 12 years to write, came as a shock to his superiors when it was published last October.
A well-placed source told the Irish Sun:
"Tom's book has caused quite a stir and some considerable upset. The whole premise of his book has been questioned by biblical scholars. He was asked to step aside from his ministry and the Provincial Council unanimously backed that decision. A committee is now examining his work and will meet with Fr Brodie to discuss it."
Oh you silly Dominicans. You've come a long way baby. From Grand Inquisitor Tomas de Torquemada.

"The premise of his book has been questioned by scholars" is the new "let's burn this guy."

Remember, it was the Dominicans who provoked Martin Luther with their ludicrous indulgences racket, who got torched by him in debate, and who tried but failed to torch him in the literal sense like they did Joan of Arc and many others.

I have some affection for the Order despite all this, but what a joke that their motto is veritas and that they still pretend to police doctrine. This whole affair shows how catatonic the mind of the Church has become.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Brodie has a chapter titled "Oral Traditions: Wonderfully Plausible but Radically Problematic", p. 50, in his 2004 book, 'The Birthing of the New Testament ...' (Sheffield Phoenix Press), available via https://books.google.com.au/books?id=1r ... &q&f=false