Why “Romans” = Demons

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why “Romans” = Demons

Post by Giuseppe »

Now I will say something of bold.

A sound law of biblical exegesis would sound surely so (I don't remember where I read it the first time, surely Vridar):

The Criterion of Embarrassment can give us, at most, not a historical nucles, but only the Earliest Tradition.

Hence the most embarrassing thing in the Gospels, something that for example was proclaimed in all the media (I am talking at least about Italy), when the movie The Passion of Mel Gibson was projected in world premiere, was the mantra repeated again and again: the true killers of Jesus were not the Jews, pace what the movie tells etc, but the Romans.

That was a successful case of worldwide application of the Criterion of Embarrassament applied on the Gospels. After having seen The Passion, only a crazy person could imagine that the Jews were the true killers of Jesus as the movie told. And for that same reason, only a crazy as me, following in this the mythicist Rylands, could think that only a crazy could invent an Earliest Gospel where only the Jews kill Jesus, without mention of the Romans.

But now I wonder: what if vox populi vox dei, and therefore it is true, the Jews couldn't be the true killers of Jesus in the Earliest Gospel, but only the Romans, without mention at all of the Jews in the role of killers?

This would give us the Earliest Passion Narrative: only the Romans arrest, condemn, and crucify Jesus. No sinedrite around.

Now think about this. The oldest parts of the Gospel Passion Narrative are only these where the actions of the Romans are described:

The cohort and the tribune seized Jesus, bound him and led him to the praetorium, and the governor, after having flogged him, delivered him to be crucified. The soldiers brought him and crucified him, and his spirit departed

(Jean Magne's reconstruction of the Earliest Passion Narrative)

Note the total coldness of the Romans: it seems that the actions of the Gestapo are going to be described, not of real human beings. The emphasis here is on the irrationality of their actions: the Romans kill Jesus without no reason, no reason at all.

Here it becomes clear why they behave so: their only function is to allegorize the demons, the true killers of the Earliest Myth.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.