Daniel and Muhammad

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Daniel and Muhammad

Post by Secret Alias »

Hebrew חמד = delight, desires
Muhammad is an Arabic title from a common root = 'desirable one' 'beloved'

Interesting Daniel is repeatedly referenced by God with a similar term:

Daniel 9:23
HEB: לְהַגִּ֔יד כִּ֥י חֲמוּד֖וֹת אָ֑תָּה וּבִין֙
As soon as you began to pray, a word went out, which I have come to tell you, for you are beloved (חֲמוּד֖וֹת). Therefore, consider the word and understand the vision (then the Seventy Weeks Prophesy comes)

Daniel 10:11
HEB: דָּנִיֵּ֣אל אִישׁ־ חֲ֠מֻדוֹת הָבֵ֨ן בַּדְּבָרִ֜ים
He said, “Daniel, you who are a beloved man (אִישׁ־ חֲ֠מֻדוֹת) consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you.” And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling.

Daniel 10:19
HEB: תִּירָ֧א אִישׁ־ חֲמֻד֛וֹת שָׁל֥וֹם לָ֖ךְ
Again the one who looked like a man touched me and gave me strength. “Do not be afraid, you who are a beloved man (אִישׁ־ חֲמֻד֛וֹת),” he said. “Peace! Be strong now; be strong.” When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength.”

The term is translated in Greek as ἀνὴρ ἐπιθυμιῶν and in Latin as vir desideriorum. It is interesting that few recognize that Daniel and the founder of Islam share a common title. Consider also 'the beloved disciple.'
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote