Saint Valentinus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
perseusomega9

Saint Valentinus

Post by perseusomega9 »

Have any scholars explored the possibility that Saint Valentine of lover's fame, is a hagiographic co-opting of Valentinus, part of the absorption of Valentinianism into the larger church? He is the patron saint of love afterall, and Valentinianism was strong in the bridal chamber motifs.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
andrewcriddle

Re: Saint Valentinus

Post by andrewcriddle »

Saint Valentine does not appear to be associated with lovers before the middle ages.

Andrew Criddle
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It is curious though the gap between Epiphany and Valentine's day (don't remember what it is off hand but I remember thinking it was significant)
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am It is curious though the gap between Epiphany and Valentine's day (don't remember what it is off hand but I remember thinking it was significant)
Epiphany to Valentine's Day inclusive is 40 days. (No I do not think this is related to the early history of Lent.)

Andrew Criddle
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Curious though.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Curious that so many early - and I mean EARLY - authorities think the Epiphany was the day of the baptism with the holy spirit or Christ in the shape of dove coming down which would naturally have been followed by the wilderness thing:
Lent is traditionally described as lasting for 40 days, in commemoration of the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the desert, according to the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, before beginning his public ministry, during which he endured temptation by Satan.
Math is hard to erase.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Damn, I was hoping it would be as glaringly obvious as

The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe