Revealing the son in Paul (Galatians 1:16)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
iskander

Re: Revealing the son in Paul (Galatians 1:16)

Post by iskander »

They are not creative translations. The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament translates verse 16 as :to me
The translations I have posted earlier show that the choice of , to, in, by, does not depend on religion . It is a trivial difference. The meaning of the verse is clear in every translation . There is no fraud, nor perversion...

1) To reveal his Son ( in , to, by) me : A) If Paul understood that if the mosaic law is no longer the means of redemption.

2) that I might preach him among the heathen: B) then the gospel may be offered freely to the Gentiles .

3) immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood : C) Paul saw himself as a messenger of God.

Paul is saying something which is very simple : I understand, I plan, I acted, as in veni vidi vici
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

iskander wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm They are not creative translations. The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament translates verse 16 as :to me
The translations I have posted earlier show that the choice of , to, in, by, does not depend on religion . It is a trivial difference. The meaning of the verse is clear in every translation . There is no fraud, nor perversion...

1) To reveal his Son ( in , to, by) me : A) If Paul understood that if the mosaic law is no longer the means of redemption.

2) that I might preach him among the heathen: B) then the gospel may be offered freely to the Gentiles .

3) immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood : C) Paul saw himself as a messenger of God.

Paul is saying something which is very simple : I understand, I plan, I acted, as in veni vidi vici
The subject of Galatians 1:10-24 is Paul's autobiographical account of how he became a preacher of the gospel, having once been a persecutor of the "church of God." It happened not through human agency but "by revelation of Jesus Christ." The central event is not Paul coming to "understand" something, but rather experiencing a revelation of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, in himself. Whatever exactly that event was, it had specific results:

1) He went into "Arabia" and then returned to Damascus.
2) After 3 years, he went to Jerusalem and inquired of [historesai] Cephas, and James "the brother of the Lord."
3) Then he went into the region of Syria and Cilicia. It is implied that only at this point does he begin preaching the gospel, because...
4) Then the churches in Judea heard about Paul's conversion and were amazed.

First the revelation, then the flight into Arabia, then the inquiry into Peter and James, then the preaching. The flight into Arabia is crucial, because it tells us that Paul didn't immediately become a preacher as a result of the revelation, but took a significant number of years to make sense of it and to work out his understanding of things with "those who were apostles before him."

So I think your interpretation of the revelation "en emoi" as nothing more than Paul coming to understand something is inadequate to the text. It's almost like you're trying to say that this is not the story of Paul's conversion at all, but just a moment when his thinking began to change.

Finally, it absolutely is not trivial how "en emoi" is translated, because it affects our whole understanding of Paul's conversion, his connection to the Peter/James circle, the rival accounts of his conversion in the form of resurrection sightings in 1 Corinthians and Acts, and the origins of Christianity itself.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Verse 16 says that Paul understood the teaching of Jesus Christ to mean something new : God reveal his son ( to, in, by) him. It is this new understanding that which had a transformative power in him.

Paul says this knowledge transformed the persecutor into a preacher of the gospel; a preacher to the Gentiles

Paul makes God the source of his new knowledge .

Understand, plan , act. The rest of Galatians explains how this new knowledge modified his life.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Irish1975 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 pm
iskander wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm They are not creative translations. The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament translates verse 16 as :to me

The subject of Galatians 1:10-24 is Paul's autobiographical account of how he became a preacher of the gospel, having once been a persecutor of the "church of God." It happened not through human agency but "by revelation of Jesus Christ." The central event is not Paul coming to "understand" something, but rather experiencing a revelation of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, in himself. Whatever exactly that event was, it had specific results:

1) He went into "Arabia" and then returned to Damascus.
2) After 3 years, he went to Jerusalem and inquired of [historesai] Cephas, and James "the brother of the Lord."
3) Then he went into the region of Syria and Cilicia. It is implied that only at this point does he begin preaching the gospel, because...
4) Then the churches in Judea heard about Paul's conversion and were amazed.

First the revelation, then the flight into Arabia, then the inquiry into Peter and James, then the preaching. The flight into Arabia is crucial, because it tells us that Paul didn't immediately become a preacher as a result of the revelation, but took a significant number of years to make sense of it and to work out his understanding of things with "those who were apostles before him."

So I think your interpretation of the revelation "en emoi" as nothing more than Paul coming to understand something is inadequate to the text. It's almost like you're trying to say that this is not the story of Paul's conversion at all, but just a moment when his thinking began to change.

Finally, it absolutely is not trivial how "en emoi" is translated, because it affects our whole understanding of Paul's conversion, his connection to the Peter/James circle, the rival accounts of his conversion in the form of resurrection sightings in 1 Corinthians and Acts, and the origins of Christianity itself.
This may be interpreting Paul's letters on the basis of Acts but it seems likely that the incident in 2 Corinthians 11
32 In Damascus the governor under King Aretas had the city of the Damascenes guarded in order to arrest me. 33 But I was lowered in a basket from a window in the wall and slipped through his hands.
occurs between Paul's conversion and his visit to the apostles. (We have no indication Paul went back to Damascus after meeting with the apostles.)

If this is right then it seems likely that Paul was already stirring up controversy with his preaching before visiting the apostles in Jerusalem.

Andrew Criddle
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

andrewcriddle wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 am
This may be interpreting Paul's letters on the basis of Acts but it seems likely that the incident in 2 Corinthians 11
32 In Damascus the governor under King Aretas had the city of the Damascenes guarded in order to arrest me. 33 But I was lowered in a basket from a window in the wall and slipped through his hands.
occurs between Paul's conversion and his visit to the apostles. (We have no indication Paul went back to Damascus after meeting with the apostles.)

If this is right then it seems likely that Paul was already stirring up controversy with his preaching before visiting the apostles in Jerusalem.

Andrew Criddle
Good to bring that passage in, thx. It seems right to infer that Paul was "stirring up controversy" in Damascus, when the basket episode occurred, and that it concerned his Christ faith and preaching. But we seem to have no evidence as to how that faith or preaching relates to what he later established through "inquiring" of Peter and James, as opposed to what was simply from his revelation experience.