Epiphanius gives evidence that James could't be the carnal brother of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Epiphanius gives evidence that James could't be the carnal brother of Jesus

Post by Giuseppe »

I am said that sometimes the line of distinction between rape and seduction is so thin that the victim herself may not recognize more it. Even if a rape is what is really happened. The interpretation wins on the fact.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Secret Alias

Re: Epiphanius gives evidence that James could't be the carnal brother of Jesus

Post by Secret Alias »

If you wanted to say that it rarely happens this way you should have specified that originally. But my second point is - with respect to mythicism - allegory only works if it is referencing something underlying which is real. The allegory of a bird feeding its young requires a bird or birds feeding their young. Similarly a crucified man requires a man or men crucified. It is hard to speak about an allegory without understanding that allegory being based on something real or actual. Yes there are other possibilities beyond an actual man named Jesus crucified on such and such a date but I think an allegory about a crucified man is necessarily rooted in an actual crucified man or men. Otherwise there is little sense of speaking 'allegorically' about the Crucifixion.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote