Pope Paul III: Jesus is avatar of Mithras

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Pope Paul III: Jesus is avatar of Mithras

Post by Giuseppe »

PREMISE: Even if I am Mythicist (per Doherty/Carrier's arguments), I don't argue for a connection between Mithraism and Christian Origins (beyond the common hellenistic feature of the dying-and-rising gods, not shared at any rate by Mithraism).

Mendoza was an ambassador of Charles V in Rome. According to him, the pope Paul III considered Jesus as an avatar of Mithras.

I read this info in the Georges Las Vergnas's book, Jesus-Christ a-t-il existé? .

Does someone know more about Paul III's mythicism?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
John T

Re: Pope Paul III: Jesus is avatar of Mithras

Post by John T »

Pope Paul III (was Pope when the Trent Council started in 1534 which dealt with heresies of the Protestants) believed that Jesus was an avatar of Mithras? :wtf:

This I gotta see. :popcorn:

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

The source seems to be https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-WZ ... as&f=false It seems an unreliable book.

Andrew Criddle
John T

Post by John T »

andrewcriddle wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am The source seems to be https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-WZ ... as&f=false It seems an unreliable book.

Andrew Criddle
It was translated from French into English in 1846 and the translator wanted to make it very clear in his translator's preface that in no way did he endorse the views made by the author.

Nevertheless, I'm sure Richard Carrier et al. will treat it as the gospel truth.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

and yet he praised the author for basically as a catholic, not being afraid to criticize the magisterium and papacy, so that translator's caveat seems to imply he is protestant and cannot endorse the catholic views

then again you're so, so smart
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

John T wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:37 pm
andrewcriddle wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am The source seems to be https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-WZ ... as&f=false It seems an unreliable book.

Andrew Criddle
It was translated from French into English in 1846 and the translator wanted to make it very clear in his translator's preface that in no way did he endorse the views made by the author.

Nevertheless, I'm sure Richard Carrier et al. will treat it as the gospel truth.
The original French is here from Histoire des papes, mystères d'iniquités de la cour de Rome !
I regard this as a very unreliable work.

Andrew Criddle