On the prayer of Jesus alone as a way to separate him from the community

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: On the prayer of Jesus alone as a way to separate him from the community

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:15 am I remember en passant that a Jesus who prayes alone in Gethsemani is, according to GNicodemus, just the Jesus who persuades definitely Satan about the mere humanity of Jesus and moves him to kill Jesus not knowing who he really is.

For I know that he is a man, and I heard him also saying, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death

http://www.clerus.org/clerus/dati/2001-03/22-13/1L.html

So even Satan supports my view: who prayes alone is necessarily not a divine being. :)
I cannot tell whether or not you are joking here. Obviously it is the content of Jesus' prayer in the gospel of Nicodemus to which Satan is reacting. "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death," is not prima facie a very divine thing to say.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm I cannot tell whether or not you are joking here. Obviously it is the content of Jesus' prayer in the gospel of Nicodemus to which Satan is reacting. "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death," is not prima facie a very divine thing to say.
Not only the content. The solitude of Jesus is what makes highly dramatic the episode in question.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm I cannot tell whether or not you are joking here. Obviously it is the content of Jesus' prayer in the gospel of Nicodemus to which Satan is reacting. "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death," is not prima facie a very divine thing to say.
Not only the content. The solitude of Jesus is what makes highly dramatic the episode in question.
Ah, so you are not joking. Wow.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ