Question on GMark's Adoptionism vs. the Empty Tomb

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Question on GMark's Adoptionism vs. the Empty Tomb

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Inana is dead for three days and three nights before her right hand woman performs the ritual to revive her:

They shouted at her — it was the shout of heavy guilt. The afflicted woman was turned into a corpse. And the corpse was hung on a hook.

After three days and three nights had passed, her minister Ninsubura carried out the instructions of her mistress.

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

I forgot all about Inanna.

Wasn't she also hung on a tree? I remember reading somewhere that she was.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm I forgot all about Inanna.

Wasn't she also hung on a tree? I remember reading somewhere that she was.
I am not familiar with that version, if such exists. In the version I have read she is hung upon a hook, but a tree is not specified.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

I think what I read said that a tree is implied because of Inanna's association with vegetation. Can't remember.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:26 pm I think what I read said that a tree is implied because of Inanna's association with vegetation. Can't remember.
Sounds like a stretch to me, then. As my posting history here will attest, I am quite keen on the possible parallels between Inana's descent and Jesus' enactment of the same. But she is not on her home turf when she is hung, so her being hung upon a tree would have to be mentioned before I could possibly accept it as a parallel, whatever her vegetable associations may or may not be.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ