500 BCE Vase of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Re: 500 BCE Vase of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ

Post by Joseph D. L. »

nightshadetwine wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:40 am Hi Joseph D.L.,

I'm someone who is convinced that Christianity is a mix of Greco-Roman mystery cults and Judaism so I find your posts here interesting. I was wondering if you can supply me with the source where Karenyi describes Dionysus on the cross?
In his Dionysos: Archetypal Image of Indestructible Life , he makes an excessive study of the vases that depict the idol of Dionysus that was set up during the Lenaia and Anthesteria, and which me and Ethan have provided many examples of. The idol itself is made up of a vertical support skeleton, with a horizontal cross beam at the midsection to drape a dress cloth over, (and to support what appears to be cups, cymbals, or bread cakes). A secondary cross beam is placed at the very top, and Kerenyi even notes the ambiguity of its meaning.
nightshadetwine

Re: 500 BCE Vase of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ

Post by nightshadetwine »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:47 pm In his Dionysos: Archetypal Image of Indestructible Life , he makes an excessive study of the vases that depict the idol of Dionysus that was set up during the Lenaia and Anthesteria, and which me and Ethan have provided many examples of. The idol itself is made up of a vertical support skeleton, with a horizontal cross beam at the midsection to drape a dress cloth over, (and to support what appears to be cups, cymbals, or bread cakes). A secondary cross beam is placed at the very top, and Kerenyi even notes the ambiguity of its meaning.
Thanks! I was just looking through that book and found it.