John completes his "Course Work"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Re: John completes his "Course Work"

Post by Charles Wilson »

Hi John T --
I'll be off the radar for a few days so I'll give a quick answer and get back to you.
1.If John is indeed from Bilgah then he is from the House of Eleazar which had 16 Service Groups. Again, see 1 Chronicles 24.
2. Bilgah is one of the Groups, Abijah is from another. I'm not saying anything is left out but the Groups were chosen by lot and it sounds as if aspiring acolytes were assigned to various Groups as needed. Hope I'm correct here. It's not like "Benjamin" which was absorbed by Judah. The Priesthood had an organization which was not dependent on bloodlines...ummm...in that manner.
3. Yes. At least one of them. Here is where a little outside verification would be helpful. "John 1" is not as good as the least in the "Realm of Heaven". I take that to mean that in the Slaughter at 4 BCE, John did not make it into the Priestly Realm of Heaven. He was murdered along with the 3000+ others. "Are there only a few who are saved?" There are only a few who are saved, mainly those few who are able to "Turn as a child" and enter through the "Narrow door. John wasn't one of them. Hence, "the least in the Realm of Heaven is greater than John." John was the greatest of the prophets and yet a child was greater than John. Why? The child lived. John died.

Which brings us to the possible "John 2". Remember, Mark has the "Woman with the 12 Year Issue of Blood" and "Jairus' Daughter" joined by "12 years". The Woman has had her illness for 12 years and Jairus' Daughter is 12 years old. I see these 2 Stories as related and Symbolic of the 4 BCE Slaughter. Two complete Mishmarot Cycles is 12 years. Jairus asks the Priest to make One More Call to Glory. There are 2 Stories and there might be 2 Johns.

So if John died in 4 BCE, who is John in 9 CE?

John 1: 29 - 31 (RSV):

[29] The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
[30] This is he of whom I said, `After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me.'
[31] I myself did not know him; but for this I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel."

Note: "I myself did not know him..."

*IF* this is a single Story, then John greets Jesus in a moment of Heavenly Glory. *IF* there are 2 Stories that are combined into a single Story then the Priest who was saved in 4 BCE is greeting another character who will be named John also. There are parallels for this in the NT. On this view, Peter saves the Priest in 4 BCE and Peter is around 12 years old. On the Replay 12 years later (with "Angels" = "Children"), the Priest will send out his Angels (as Peter was sent) to Save the Elect.

Let us note also this John's plight:

John1: 19 - 20 (RSV):

[19] And this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?"
[20] He confessed, he did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Christ."

This sounds like a beating has taken place. Yeah, yeah, I know.

4. According to Eisenman and Wise, DSSU, p. 20, the War Scroll comes from Cave 1. I'll add more when I get back or get to WiFi spot in the next week.

Thanx again, John T.

CW
John T

Re: John completes his "Course Work"

Post by John T »

CW,

I have tried to decipher the calendar of priestly courses (4Q320) but I'm still having a hard time making sense of it.

If I understand you right, your theory (proof) that John the Baptist died in 4 BCE is based mathematically on a precise calendar of scheduled rotation of priestly courses, i.e. Immer comes after Bilgah?

However, Mishmarot A (4Q320) states Immer does not come after Bilgah but rather Jakim. Furthermore, Petahiah comes after Bilgah.
What am I missing here? Perhaps the Essenes kept a different calendar/rotation schedule than the Herodian priesthood?

Sincerely,

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift