Justin: apostles = brothers of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Justin: apostles = brothers of Jesus

Post by Secret Alias »

The questions for me was whether Jesus started as a god or a man who became God and how did he become a god (Virgin Birth or baptism). I still can't see what a human Jesus ever accomplished to found a religion.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:56 pm The earliest layers were happy to ascribe brothers to Jesus.
Not so sure. For example, why there were more women at the Empty Tomb? While in the fourth Gospel there is an episode involving only Mary Magdalene? The plurality of brothers and sisters and true apostles - is not necessarily synonimous of more antiquity.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:45 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:56 pm The earliest layers were happy to ascribe brothers to Jesus.
Not so sure. For example, why there were more women at the Empty Tomb? While in the fourth Gospel there is an episode involving only Mary Magdalene? The plurality of brothers and sisters and true apostles - is not necessarily synonimous of more antiquity.
I think you may have misunderstood me.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:29 am
Giuseppe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:45 pm
I think you may have misunderstood me.
I think that a case may be made that the episode of the mother and the brothers of Jesus in Mark didn't appear in proto-Mark. But that will be for another thread.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

John T wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:57 pm Actually, Paul is trying to make it clear which James he is referring to by stating he is talking about the sibling brother of Jesus, a.k.a. James the Just who is in charge of the church in Jerusalem. James is more than an apostle, he is the physical brother of Jesus and thus a direct heir.

In other words, Paul is bragging that he personally talked to the top brass (pillars) about his conversion/contrition and if they can forgive him and accept him as a fellow apostle, so should you.
Galatians 2:9.

Sincerely,

John T
This is not really an argument for “Brother of the Lord” not being an interpolation. It is only you stating why you think it is possible Paul could have written it.

I think the strongest argument against it being an interpolation is that we don’t have any versions of Galatians without it. However, this would only be a slam dunk if there was very strong evidence that we had a copy from before 66 CE that included the words.
John T

Post by John T »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 pm The questions for me was whether Jesus started as a god or a man who became God and how did he become a god (Virgin Birth or baptism). I still can't see what a human Jesus ever accomplished to found a religion.
The Jewish people have been told to heed a prophet sent from God. Deuteronomy 18:18-22.
Jesus claimed to be a prophet sent from God.

I would recommend you read a book by Bart Ehrman titled; "How Jesus Became God".
After that I would recommend you read a book by James D. Tabor titled; "The Jesus Dynasty".
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

John T wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 am I would recommend you read a book …
After that I would recommend you read a book by James D. Tabor titled; "The Jesus Dynasty".
Why are you recommending James Tabor’s book? What did I miss?
John T

Post by John T »

The full title of the Tabor's book is; "The Jesus Dynasty. The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family, and the Birth of Christianity."

People tend to forget that the nation of Israel was once a kingdom with a royal family.

The throne of David was to be restored to his royal (blood-line) descendants.

"Behold, the days are coming," declares the LORD, "When I will raise up for David a righteous Branch; And He will reign as king and act wisely And do justice and righteousness in the land. "In His days Judah will be saved, And Israel will dwell securely; And this is His name by which He will be called, 'The LORD our righteousness.' Jeremiah 23:5-6

Jesus was from the family line (branch) of David.
The early Christians viewed the family of Jesus as a royal family, the rightful heirs of the throne of David.
Jesus was killed for fear that his followers would start an armed rebellion and give the throne to Jesus as king of the Jews.

Tabor documents the persecution/plight of the royal family of Jesus.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

John T wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:19 pm The full title of the Tabor's book is; "The Jesus Dynasty. The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family, and the Birth of Christianity."

People tend to forget that the nation of Israel was once a kingdom with a royal family.

The throne of David was to be restored to his royal (blood-line) descendants.

Jesus was from the family line (branch) of David.
Jesus was killed for being the king of the Jews.

The early Christians viewed the family of Jesus as a royal family, the rightful heirs of the throne of David.

Tabor documents the persecution/plight of the royal family of Jesus.
I have retrieved the book from my not to be looked at again pile and will read it again as it has been years since I read it and dismissed Tabor as a bad scholar. By the way the book is entitled "The Jesus Dynasty”. My copy appears to be the 2006 British one and has no extended title. On the dust jacket cover it declares “stunning new evidence about the hidden history of Jesus” as well on the title page. Also on the front of dust jacket cover is a reference to Kathy Reichs Cross Bones.

From memory I am not sure that Tabor “documents” anything.
John T

Post by John T »

Michael BG wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:45 pm
I have retrieved the book from my not to be looked at again pile and will read it again as it has been years since I read it and dismissed Tabor as a bad scholar. By the way the book is entitled "The Jesus Dynasty”. My copy appears to be the 2006 British one and has no extended title. On the dust jacket cover it declares “stunning new evidence about the hidden history of Jesus” as well on the title page. Also on the front of dust jacket cover is a reference to Kathy Reichs Cross Bones.

From memory I am not sure that Tabor “documents” anything.
My hardcover book is printed by Simon & Schuster, 2006. Clearly your dust cover is different because mine has the extended title.
The book has over one hundred footnotes and I have read the book cover to cover at least twice.

Dr. Tabor has been on many T.V. documentaries and is an expert on the Dead Sea Scrolls and Christian origins.

Sincerely,

John T