Was the woman not afraid of the angel?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Was the woman not afraid of the angel?

Post by Giuseppe »

Once I think to have an approximation of the Earliest Passion Narrative (basically, a Jewish trial followed by the single crucifixion of a Jesus Son of Father), something of similar to this, to be clear:

22 While the 12 apostles were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.”

23 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

24 “This is my blood of the[c] covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them.

Just as he was speaking, a crowd armed with swords and clubs appeared, sent from the chief priests, the teachers of the law, and the elders.

Then everyone deserted him and fled.

53 They took Jesus to the high priest, and all the chief priests, the elders and the teachers of the law came together. 54 Peter followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. There he sat with the guards and warmed himself at the fire.

55 The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any. 56 Many testified falsely against him, but their statements did not agree.

57 Then some stood up and gave this false testimony against him: 58 “We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with human hands and in three days will build another, not made with hands.’” 59 Yet even then their testimony did not agree.

60 Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” 61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.

Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”

62 “I am the Son of my Father,” said Jesus. “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me”

63 The high priest tore his clothes. “Why do we need any more witnesses?” he asked. 64 “You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?”

They all condemned him as worthy of death. 65 Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists.

...what could be the original Resurrection scene?

Now it is clear to me that Mark was eclipsing deliberately the Primitive Gospel. So note the plurality of women before the Crucifixion.
Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joseph, and Salome.
Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joseph saw where he was laid.
(Mark 15:40, 47)

THe plurality of women is suspect. What if only Mary Magdalene was there? Afterall, she is the Gnostic Sophia.

The original scene would be then the following:

A woman was watching from a distance, Mary Magdalene.

Mary Magdalene saw where he was laid.

Mark has women full of fear. What if the only woman before the Empty Tomb hadn't fear?

The scene would be similar to that scene in John 20:

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.

They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?”

“They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.” 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.

15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”

Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”

16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”

She turned toward him.

17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Note the opposition: the angels versus Jesus, and Mary Magdalene in the middle.

These angels are demons: they could be the seven demons who possessed Mary Magdalene/Sophia.

But who is the garderer? He is the Demiurge, the god of the Jews.

The ''Garden'' is the Eden of Genesis. Placed on this earth.

Mary Magdalene knows that the Demiurge has killed Jesus by using the Jews. So she is already partially saved in virtue of that knowledge.

This is obviously pure speculation (differently from the recognized fact that the Earliest Passion Narrative had only a Jewish trial). :tomato: Maybe there was no Resurrection scene at all. But think about what we have in Mark (the purality of women, the fear of the women, an angel who proclaims the resurrection of the king of the Jews). Was there in origin exactly the contrary of these items?

...Suggestions, suggestions...
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
arnoldo

Re: Was the woman not afraid of the angel?

Post by arnoldo »

Do you see any symbolism in the picture?
Baptistery wall painting: Procession of women