Why did not Lazarus rise in the Synoptics?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why did not Lazarus rise in the Synoptics?

Post by Giuseppe »

Could be that, in the Synoptics, Lazarus is explicitly said that he can't be risen (to provoke more easily the conversion of the rich man's relatives) because in a previous Gospel (proto-John?) Lazarus indeed did rise to show that only the faith in Christ is necessary and not "the Law and the prophets" ???

This may explain why Lazarus becomes a parable in the Synoptics. It was otherwise too much embarrassing for Christians to deny that Jesus could rise a dead friend.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Why did not Lazarus rise in the Synoptics?

Post by Joseph D. L. »

I think you're right on this. But it's really a question of whether Lazarus has priority over Simon of Cyrene.
Martin Klatt

Post by Martin Klatt »

[:]
Last edited by Martin Klatt on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Martin Klatt wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 am Aren't you forgetting Secret Mark, where there is a Lazarus like raising a young man from a tomb. And he was rich too.
Man. I did forget that. Thanks.

I think Lazarus and Secret Mark can be better understood when compared to the cult of Antinous established by Hadrian. Curiously enough, Hadrian attempted to have Antinous turned into a constellation, carried by Aquila, and there's likewise a figure named Aquila who had some nebulous association with Hadrian.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Could "Secret Mark" be Marcion's "Gospel of the lord"?
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

lsayre wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:55 am Could "Secret Mark" be Marcion's "Gospel of the lord"?
I think there is a relation between the two. Also curious is the figure of "Markianos" of Alexandria from right around the time Secret Mark would have been composed, and when the Antinous cult was getting started. (And right where Peregrinus Proteus would be).