Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345
Information

Published at last! But the fragment, which contains parts of Mark 1.7-9 and 1.16-18 and is also known as Ƿ137, dates to century II or III, not to century I. The main textual variant appears to be the absence of ὁ Ἰησοῦς as the subject of εἶπεν in Mark 1.17, an absence also attested by Φ and minuscule 1194, among others. More information is available in the original thread.

Text and Translation

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345
Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345
Recto
[Mark 1.7 ...]μ̣ ̣[...]
[....] τ̣ῶ̣ν̣ [ὑ]π̣[οδημά-]
[των αὐτοῦ· 8 ἐγ]ὼ ἐβάπτ̣ισα ὑμ̣ᾶ̣ς̣ ὕδ̣[ατι,]
[αὐτὸς δὲ βαπ]τ̣ίσει ὑμ̣[ᾶ]ς̣ π̣ν̣{εύματ}ι ἁ̣γ̣[ίῳ. 9 καὶ]
[ἐγένετο ἐν ἐκε]ί̣ναι̣ς̣ [ταῖ]ς ἡ̣μέρ̣[αις....]
Recto
[Mark 1.7 ...]m ̣[...]
[....] his [s]a[n-]
[dals;] 8 I baptized you [by] wat[er,]
[but he himself will bap]tize y[o]u by the ho[ly] sp{ir}it. 9 And]
[it happened in th]ose da[ys....]
Verso
[Mark 1.16 ...]
[...ἐν] ̣τ̣ῇ θαλ̣ά̣[σσῃ· ἦσαν γὰρ ἁλιεῖς.]
[17 καὶ εἶπε]ν αὐτοῖς· Δεῦ̣τ̣ε̣ ὀ̣π̣[ίσω μου, καὶ]
[ποιήσω] ὑμᾶς γενέσθαι ἁλι̣[εῖς ἀνθρώπω{ν}.]
[18 καὶ εὐθὺ]ς̣ ἀφέντε[ς] τ̣ὰ δίκ[τυα....]
Verso
[Mark 1.16 ...]
[...in] ̣the se[a; for they were fishers.]
[17 And he sai]d to them: Come af[ter me, and]
[I shall make] you to be fish[ers of human{s}.]
[18 And straighw]ay having lef[t] the ne[ts....]

Notes and Quotes

Context and Textual Parallels

Mark 1.7-11 (NA28, NASB): 7 Καὶ ἐκήρυσσεν λέγων· ἔρχεται ὁ ἰσχυρότερός μου ὀπίσω μου, οὗ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἱκανὸς κύψας λῦσαι τὸν ἱμάντα τῶν ὑποδημάτων αὐτοῦ. 8 ἐγὼ ἐβάπτισα ὑμᾶς ὕδατι, αὐτὸς δὲ βαπτίσει ὑμᾶς ἐν πνεύματι ἁγίῳ. 9 Καὶ ἐγένετο ἐν ἐκείναις ταῖς ἡμέραις ἦλθεν Ἰησοῦς ἀπὸ Ναζαρὲτ τῆς Γαλιλαίας καὶ ἐβαπτίσθη εἰς τὸν Ἰορδάνην ὑπὸ Ἰωάννου. 10 καὶ εὐθὺς ἀναβαίνων ἐκ τοῦ ὕδατος εἶδεν σχιζομένους τοὺς οὐρανοὺς καὶ τὸ πνεῦμα ὡς περιστερὰν καταβαῖνον εἰς αὐτόν· 11 καὶ φωνὴ ἐγένετο ἐκ τῶν οὐρανῶν· σὺ εἶ ὁ υἱός μου ὁ ἀγαπητός, ἐν σοὶ εὐδόκησα. / 7 And he was preaching, and saying, "After me One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to stoop down and untie the thong of His sandals. 8 I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." 9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Immediately coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opening, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him; 11 and a voice came out of the heavens: "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased."

Mark 1.16-20 (NA28, NASB): 16 Καὶ παράγων παρὰ τὴν θάλασσαν τῆς Γαλιλαίας εἶδεν Σίμωνα καὶ Ἀνδρέαν τὸν ἀδελφὸν Σίμωνος ἀμφιβάλλοντας ἐν τῇ θαλάσσῃ· ἦσαν γὰρ ἁλιεῖς. 17 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς· δεῦτε ὀπίσω μου, καὶ ποιήσω ὑμᾶς γενέσθαι ἁλιεῖς ἀνθρώπων. 18 καὶ εὐθὺς ἀφέντες τὰ δίκτυα ἠκολούθησαν αὐτῷ. 19 Καὶ προβὰς ὀλίγον εἶδεν Ἰάκωβον τὸν τοῦ Ζεβεδαίου καὶ Ἰωάννην τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ καὶ αὐτοὺς ἐν τῷ πλοίῳ καταρτίζοντας τὰ δίκτυα, 20 καὶ εὐθὺς ἐκάλεσεν αὐτούς. καὶ ἀφέντες τὸν πατέρα αὐτῶν Ζεβεδαῖον ἐν τῷ πλοίῳ μετὰ τῶν μισθωτῶν ἀπῆλθον ὀπίσω αὐτοῦ. / 16 As He was going along by the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew, the brother of Simon, casting a net in the sea; for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." 18 Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. 19 Going on a little farther, He saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who were also in the boat mending the nets. 20 Immediately He called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants, and went away to follow Him.

Works Consulted and Links

First-Century Mark Fragment Update, by Daniel B. Wallace.
First-Century Mark, Published at Last (?), by Elijah Hixson.
P.Oxy LXXXIII 5345 (Egypt Exploration Society).
Papyrus 137 (Wikipedia).

Images

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3pachL9pCh0/ ... 757507.jpg
Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345.jpg
Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 10149 times
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Mon May 27, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Re: Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345.

Post by Secret Alias »

Excellent and valuable work Ben.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

So the variants

(1) no variant in verse 1:7
(2) 1:8 - ἐν before πνεύματι ἁγίῳ (changes "baptize in the holy spirit" to "baptize with the holy spirit")
(3) 1:17 - ὁ Ἰησοῦς (or rather - ΟΙΣ n.s.)

(2) with B L H Δ 33 (WH follows this reading)
(3) with Φ 1194 (curiously both are Byzantine in Mark)

While reading in 1:8 might be original, given the witnesses and the additional weight of 5345, the reading in 1:17 is almost certainly an error (homoioarcton), even though dropping a nomina sacra seems improbable. But it's easy to see how when you realize we have the same three letters repeating ΑΥΤΟΙΣΟΙΣΔΕΥΤΕ. This scrap might be closer to the progenitor of that error repeated by Φ and 1194.
Last edited by Stuart on Fri May 25, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Stuart wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:16 pm So the variants

(1) 1:7 + των (do you mean τοῦ?) before αὐτοῦ based on spacing
No, των is correct. The whole phrase is τῶν ὑποδημάτων αὐτοῦ. The των is just the end of the word ὑποδημάτων, split across two lines.
(2) 1:8 - ἐν before πνεύματι ἁγίῳ (changes "baptize in the holy spirit" to "baptize with the holy spirit")
Right. The ἐν is missing, making the dative πνεύματι ἁγίῳ instrumental instead of the object of a preposition.
(3) unique reading in Greek
Not unique, from what I gather, but very rare.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 pm Excellent and valuable work Ben.
Thank you.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:22 pm
(3) unique reading in Greek
Not unique, from what I gather, but very rare.
The Oxyrhynchus volume says that "ο Ιηϲουϲ is omitted also in Φ and 1194, see von Soden, and a further scatter of minuscules...."
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Ben,

scratch #1 then, not a variant, but my bad reading.

I just gave the variants I found in Sawnson's. I did not spend too much time looking it up.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
JoeWallack

No O Ob bi No Nefarious

Post by JoeWallack »

Nefarious

JW:
Great work Ben, thanks.

Dr. Carrier's related image and comments here:

Bullshit from Day One: The First Century Gospel Is a Third Century Gospel
There are, front and back, in total only 10 whole words surviving on this fragment, with bits of less than twenty other words that we can guess at if we compare with other texts of Mark. Reconstructed as follows (the blue is what’s actually on the manuscript):
And notice how many letters are uncertain (marked with dots beneath). They weren’t kidding when they said they had so little to go on in dating the hand! This also means the editors are relying a lot on other manuscripts of Mark even to reconstruct what is written on this one.
My related comments:

1) There is a neighboring pretty difficult reading here of 1:9:
And it came to pass in those days,[end of fragment] that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee
Another instance of an early fragment just happening to not contain a difficult reading area. I can not help wondering if the fragment previously included whatever was here or not here and that is why it took five years to publish and also could explain why CBS (Christian Bible Scholarship) had no interest in making it public since when it was discovered in 1903.

2) It looks like Obbink had some hand in misleading that it was first century by connecting it to Mummy cartonnage that was that old by a range of either not bothering to correct this mistaken assumption or planting the fragment within the cartonnage.

3) The ratio of textual variation to text is high here supporting The Skeptical Textual Criticism position that earlier text tends to have more variation.

4) The actual textual variation here is probably greater than what has currently been identified, as Carrier alludes to, as a high percent of the letters are unclear and extant text is the main guide used to make the related identification.

Joseph

Skeptical Textual Criticism
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Re: No O Ob bi No Nefarious

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

JoeWallack wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:16 pm 1) There is a neighboring pretty difficult reading here of 1:9:
And it came to pass in those days,[end of fragment] that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee
Another instance of an early fragment just happening to not contain a difficult reading area. I can not help wondering if the fragment previously included whatever was here or not here and that is why it took five years to publish and also could explain why CBS (Christian Bible Scholarship) had no interest in making it public since when it was discovered in 1903.
From the size of the papyrus and the available space, the words "from Nazareth" would be most likely at the top of the verso side. The last word of the recto side was probably "ἦλθεν" (it came), at the very outside the nomen sacrum for "Jesus". This is the last line of the recto side unless the former last line was cleared with an ink killer.
Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:48 pm Text and Translation

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345
Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 5345
Recto
[Mark 1.7 ...]μ̣ ̣[...]
[....] τ̣ῶ̣ν̣ [ὑ]π̣[οδημά-]
[των αὐτοῦ· 8 ἐγ]ὼ ἐβάπτ̣ισα ὑμ̣ᾶ̣ς̣ ὕδ̣[ατι,]
[αὐτὸς δὲ βαπ]τ̣ίσει ὑμ̣[ᾶ]ς̣ π̣ν̣{εύματ}ι ἁ̣γ̣[ίῳ. 9 καὶ]
[ἐγένετο ἐν ἐκε]ί̣ναι̣ς̣ [ταῖ]ς ἡ̣μέρ̣[αις ἦλθεν]
Recto
[Mark 1.7 ...]m ̣[...]
[....] his [s]a[n-]
[dals;] 8 I baptized you [by] wat[er,]
[but he himself will bap]tize y[o]u by the ho[ly] sp{ir}it. 9 And]
[it happened in th]ose da[ys it came]
Verso
[Mark 1.16 ...]
[...ἐν] ̣τ̣ῇ θαλ̣ά̣[σσῃ· ἦσαν γὰρ ἁλιεῖς.]
[17 καὶ εἶπε]ν αὐτοῖς· Δεῦ̣τ̣ε̣ ὀ̣π̣[ίσω μου, καὶ]
[ποιήσω] ὑμᾶς γενέσθαι ἁλι̣[εῖς ἀνθρώπω{ν}.]
[18 καὶ εὐθὺ]ς̣ ἀφέντε[ς] τ̣ὰ δίκ[τυα....]
Verso
[Mark 1.16 ...]
[...in] ̣the se[a; for they were fishers.]
[17 And he sai]d to them: Come af[ter me, and]
[I shall make] you to be fish[ers of human{s}.]
[18 And straighw]ay having lef[t] the ne[ts....]

toejam

Post by toejam »

Thank you Ben!!

As someone who has been semi-following the FCM story since it began in 2012, I feel a sense of relief that we're finally able to see it, but also a sense of disappointment that it's so small and insignificant. I guess that was to be expected though. But hopes were hopes. I would have much preferred if it were more controversial - e.g. that it really did have the potential to date to the 1st century, and/or it contained a really out-there textual variant... Ah well, maybe next time haha!
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208