Why Pilate? Could 'Pilate' Have Been a Kind of Fish Spear?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ethan

Re: Why Pilate? Could 'Pilate' Have Been a Kind of Fish Spear?

Post by Ethan »

The Feast day of Longinus is March 15th, coinciding with the assassination of Julius Caesar led
by Gaius Cassius Longinus.

Was he named Longinus because he pierced J.C with his λόγχη?
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Slam dunk.
I haven't laughed like this in a long time, albeit alone staring at a computer screen. I hope Giuseppe credits me in his monograph Kial Pilato? (Why Pilate?) written for the eminent Esperanto journal Beletra Almanako http://www.beletraalmanako.com/ (Belles-Lettres Almanac), a three-times-a-year periodical of Esperanto belles-lettres.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

.,/
Last edited by MrMacSon on Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

I know this is a joke thread, but I have long suspected that Pontus Pilate and Marcion, man of Pontus, are derived from the same tradition. Maybe you find humour in that.

This may--or not--explain how the Acta Pilati and Gospel of Nicodemus became fused overtime. As it stands, the only canonical Gospel that shows a relationship with Nicodemus (a name possibly derived from Demas figure in the Pauline epistles), is John; and as I've speculated elsewhere, the effuse of blood and water from Jesus was the new baptism, but also linked back to the deluge of Genesis. In this regard, the cross would be the ark, with Pilate/Marcion being the helmsman of the new church.

Speculation.