Marcionite meaning behind Mark 10:37 ?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Marcionite meaning behind Mark 10:37 ?

Post by Giuseppe »

We are always said that Jesus lives and he is ''at the right'' of the his Father, amen and so on....

35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”
36 “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.
37 They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”
38 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”
39 “We can,” they answered.
Jesus said to them, “You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, 40 but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.”

(Mark 10:35-40)

So Ory:

They [the two Pillars] do not suspect that being Jesus at the right hand of the Father, the throne at his left will not be free, but they may not know that Jesus has a celestial father.

(Le Christ et Jésus, p. 119, n. 73, my translation)

But the answer of Mark's Jesus seems to show the same basic ignorance:
These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared
The Father of Jesus, the Alien God, couldn't be enumerated among merely 'those for whom the right and the left places have ben prepared''.

So the episode may be an alteration of a previous marcionite episode, where only the question by the two Pillars was original, while the answer of Jesus was corrupted and falsified by the proto-Catholics.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.