Parallels between Homilies's Alexandrian Initiation of Clement by Barnabas and Secret Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Parallels between Homilies's Alexandrian Initiation of Clement by Barnabas and Secret Mark

Post by Secret Alias »

Clementine Homilies (in Alexandria):
I took Barnabas by the hand, and by force conducted him, against his will, to my lodging, and constrained him to remain there, lest some one might lay hands on him. And having spent several days, and instructed me briefly in the true doctrine he said that he should hasten into Judæa
Clementine Recognitions (in Rome):
But as the day was declining to evening, I laid hold of Barnabas by the right hand, and led him away, although reluctantly, to my house; and there I made him remain, lest perchance any one of the rude rabble should lay hands upon him. While we were thus placed in contact for a few days, I gladly heard him discoursing the word of truth yet he hastened his departure, saying that he must by all means celebrate at Judæa
Secret Mark:
he [Jesus] stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb, they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do, and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan [to Judea]
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
rakovsky

Re: Parallels between Homilies's Alexandrian Initiation of Clement by Barnabas and Secret Mark

Post by rakovsky »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:31 am Clementine Homilies (in Alexandria):
I took Barnabas by the hand, and by force conducted him, against his will, to my lodging, and constrained him to remain there, lest some one might lay hands on him. And having spent several days, and instructed me briefly in the true doctrine he said that he should hasten into Judæa
Clementine Recognitions (in Rome):
But as the day was declining to evening, I laid hold of Barnabas by the right hand, and led him away, although reluctantly, to my house; and there I made him remain, lest perchance any one of the rude rabble should lay hands upon him. While we were thus placed in contact for a few days, I gladly heard him discoursing the word of truth yet he hastened his departure, saying that he must by all means celebrate at Judæa
Secret Mark:
he [Jesus] stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb, they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do, and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan [to Judea]
Sure, I can see parallels between the parts in bold. I suppose that the author (or forger) could have used these ideas in constructing "Secret Mark" 's story on the youth.
There are some differences though, eg. Clement grabs Barnabas, but it's the grabbed Barnabas who instructs Clement.
Five days pass between the raising and instruction in Secret Mark, whereas in the Clementines, the instruction doesn't wait for days but instead seems to take days.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com