Did Acts 18:2 Use Suetonius

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Did Acts 18:2 Use Suetonius

Post by Giuseppe »

It is surprising the contrast between the impulsor (Chrestus) and the expulsor (Claudius). Not even Spartacus was able of so much (assuming that this Chrestus was a man of lower status just as Spartacus).

So I think that it is an interpolation.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I often think 'Rome' in those ancient texts, especially Christian ones, does not mean the city
I think you want to think that so that you can interpret the text in different ways. I think the author is creating a false history but a literal false history. No allegory here unless the allegory was present in the source material.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It is surprising the contrast between the impulsor (Chrestus) and the expulsor (Claudius). Not even Spartacus was able of so much (assuming that this Chrestus was a man of lower status just as Spartacus).

So I think that it is an interpolation.
But I don't think you're trying to explain how Acts was written as a false history. I think it's a patchwork of sources behind Acts.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:02 pm Here https://books.google.com/books?id=zO4-M ... 22&f=false Adamczewski argues that
Since Luke chronologically correlated the trial before Gallio with the expulsion of the Jews from Rome (Acts 18:2.11-12), the description of the outcome of the trial, namely that of driving of the Jews away from the Roman realm and of public beating of their leader (aTieAauva): Acts 18:16-17), probably alludes to Josephus' reference to the expulsion of the Jews from Rome (omipxeoOai, eAauvco: Jos. Ant. 18.84).

Just before that passage, at the start of the same paragraph, is reference to Paul being accused over issues of Jewish law; and after that paragraph is reference to Acts 18:1-17 being a reworking of 1 Cor and 2 Cor with the use of several other literary motifs.

Also, just after the passage you cited is reference to Paul presumable being harassed by Jewish Christians. I always assume Jewish Christians or Christians were not a thing in the times these texts were set, and maybe hardly even a thing when they were written.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

That's kind of the way Adamczewski deconstructs Acts.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:14 pm
I often think 'Rome' in those ancient texts, especially Christian ones, does not mean the city
I think you want to think that so that you can interpret1 the text in different ways. I think the author is creating a false history, but a literal false history2. No allegory here unless the allegory was present in the source material3.

1 Firstly, so I can consider the texts in a different way (but, yes, with a bias that they are likely to have been written different to what is commonly said)

2 I agree.

3 I think allegory is more likely in these texts, but it is possible some or a lot was in the source material (though unlikely).
Last edited by MrMacSon on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Not in Acts. The author is constructing this is a one dimensional history developed if Adamczewski is to be believed from older historical texts. No allegories in any of this unless found in the source material.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 pm Not in Acts. The author is constructing this is a one dimensional history developed if Adamczewski is to be believed from older historical texts. No allegories in any of this unless found in the source material.
I can accept that.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Happy times
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

I also refined the meaning behind the name 'Chrestus' , Mithradites was named Chrestus in recognition of his aids to Sailors and traders and this name appears in Hebrew, Yaqar (h3368) & Qar(7119), used to described the wares(the goods) of the Merchants, see Ezekiel 27:22,. χρηστῶν (LXX), this word means' one who gives/serviceable' (Merchant). Another translation of 'Chrestus ' is tachbulah (Good-counsel/speculator) (תַּחְבֻּלוֹת) (h8458) and the Septuagint sometimes translates this into ' κυβερνῆταί ' (Cybernaut) ( sailor , seaman or merchant). The Jews in the Roman Empire were primarily Merchants.
the word “chrestai” in Greek that, according to one etymology, means “goodness;” and, as well, “traders” and “speculators - William A. Jurgens-
It is still in use today in urban Rome, ' la cresta' ' means ‘profiteer’, ‘to demand an extortionate price’

Tac. Ann. 15. 44: This name derives from a speculator, who was executed by the procurator Pontius Pilatus under the government of Tiberius
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf