Synoptic Luke-Marcion parallels?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Synoptic Luke-Marcion parallels?

Post by neilgodfrey »

Asking on behalf of a colleague: Does anyone know of any source that has Luke and Marcion fragments in parallel like they do the synoptic gospels?

Thanks,
Neil
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Secret Alias

Re: Synoptic Luke-Marcion parallels?

Post by Secret Alias »

I think Ben has something like that here at the site
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

neilgodfrey wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 pm Asking on behalf of a colleague: Does anyone know of any source that has Luke and Marcion fragments in parallel like they do the synoptic gospels?
You mean like the way critics have presented reconstructions of Galatians, Romans, etc., in parallel columns?

Now I thought I had something like that, but I was wrong. Seems the whole thing can get unwieldy if we unpack all the "what-ifs."

The most complete table of comparisons I am aware of is that by Dieter T Roth, Towards a New Reconstruction of the Text of Marcion’s Gospel (PhD Dis, 2009, pp 47-62). His five columns include, for several categories (attested verses, unattested, etc.), the Verse in Luke, Tertullian, Epiphanius, Adam. 40, and "Other(s)", meaning Clement of Alexandria, Irenaeus, Hippolytus, Origen, Jerome, Ephrem, Pseudo-Ephrem, Philastrius, Eznik, Pseudo-Tertullian, what have you.

I a pretty sure this is available online as a pdf. Unfortunately, only citations are given, not ETs of the texts. A lot of that ET stuff is available in Jason BeDuhn's book The First New Testament (2013).

Fun, fun ...

DCH
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Secret Alias wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 pm I think Ben has something like that here at the site
.. and you will not find a better one

The Marcionite gospel with accompanying sources.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Thank you, SA, DCH and KK!
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science