James 1.1 and 2.1.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

John2

Re: James 1.1 and 2.1.

Post by John2 »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:32 pm John, try the mental experiment suggested in this thread for yourself. Assume just for the sake of argument that 1.1 and 2.1 contain Christianizing interpolations. What remains in James that would make it Christian? Criticizing Paul cannot be enough, since sects can criticize each other. Faith is a Jewish concept, too, as well as Christian (although the latter certainly ran with it). Is there anything in James that would be incompatible, say, with at least some of the Dead Sea scrolls? Is there anything in James that would be incompatible with it hailing from the kind of Jewish sect, not itself Christian, from which Christianity sprang?

You do not want to view 1.1 and 2.1 as interpolated, and I sympathize! I get it. But this thread is about the possibility that those verses were tampered with, and also about the possible consequences of that contingency.
I think James is very "Qumranic" (in the sense of being similar to the DSS and not that James was necessarily associated with the location of Qumran, though I don't think that is out of the question either). But I don't even know where to start with that one at the moment, so let's just say for now that this is my understanding.

And since I regard the DSS (the majority of which are dated to the Herodian era) as being Fourth Philosophic (in the sense of being writings that were written by Fourth Philosophers and older writings that people who joined the Fourth Philosophy brought with them), and because the DSS and Christianity (to me) resemble what Josephus says about the Fourth Philosophy, I thus view Christianity as a faction of the Fourth Philosophy. I would even go as "far" as to say that some of the DSS (particularly the Damascus Document) could actually be (Jewish) Christian. So that is my starting point.

And if we were to remove James 1:1 and 2:1, what would be left would still resemble the DSS to me. And since I can see references in the Damascus Document as possibly pertaining to Jesus even though it doesn't mention Jesus (except perhaps obliquely when it mentions seeing God's "yeshua" in the Last Days), I can still see James in the same light if we remove 1:1 and 2:1, since I regard the reference to "the coming of the Lord" in 5:7 and 5:9 as pertaining to Jesus (like I do 1 Thes. 4:15).

To me what you are doing is like reading the Shepherd of Hermas as a Christianized Jewish writing. Let's say it mentioned Jesus twice like James but there were reasons for suspecting that they were interpolations and you asked me to say what else in it seems Christian to me. I would say, for examples, the references to Clement, the Church and the son of God. And I can imagine you responding that there were lots of people named Clement, that the word for Church could mean a Jewish ecclesia (or "assembly"), since Josephus uses that word for Jewish groups, and that the DSS also use the expression "son of God." I mean, okay, you can do all that if you want, but it seems "easier" (and preferable) to me to take it as being Christian, all things considered. And I acknowledge that this is only a judgement call.
Last edited by John2 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

Bernard Muller wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:19 pm to John2,
Are there any non-Christian writings from the first or second centuries CE that similarly attack Paul? I can't think of any offhand. And if there aren't, why, given the above, should we regard James as being an exception?
We know that Paul was criticized or under attack by Jews and even Christians. What sources do we have to indicate or imply just that?
Paul's epistles, especially the Corinthians letters, and also 'Acts'. For examples, from the KJV:

1 Co [23] But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

1 Co 9 [1] Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?
[2] If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: ...

2 Co 10 [10] For his letters, say they, are weighty and powerful; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.

2 Co 11 [16] I say again, Let no man think me a fool; if otherwise, yet as a fool receive me, that I may boast myself a little.

2 Co 11 [24] Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

2 Co 11 [5] For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles.
[6] But though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge;...

Gal 2 [4] And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus they might bring us into bondage:

Acts 18 [12] And when Gallio was the deputy of Achaia, the Jews made insurrection with one accord against Paul, and brought him to the judgment seat,
[13] Saying, This fellow persuadeth men to worship God contrary to the law.

Cordially, Bernard
Good response, Bernard. It's not quite the same thing as there being something written by Paul's non-Christian Jewish opponents, but he is a witness to the existence of such people and I guess that counts.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

Bernard,

Do you suppose though that anyone would have wanted "Christianize" any of these opponents writings had there been any? For me it's hard to imagine, and I see the "Christianizing" of James in the same light.
John2

Post by John2 »

Bernard Muller wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 pm to John2,
About non-Christians criticizing Paul in the 2nd century:
Irenaeus wrote in 'Against Heresies':
Book I, ch. XXVI, 2 "They [the Ebionites] ... repudiate the Apostle Paul, maintaining that he was an apostate from the law."
Later Eusebius wrote about Ebionites in 'The History of the Church', 3, 27:
"They [the Ebionites] regarded Him [Jesus] as plain and ordinary, a man esteemed as righteous through growth of character and nothing more, the child of a normal union between a man and Mary; and they held that they must observe every detail of the Law. ..."

Cordially, Bernard
Your view on what I call Jewish Christians not being Christians baffles me though.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 am Bernard,

Do you suppose though that anyone would have wanted "Christianize" any of these opponents writings had there been any? For me it's hard to imagine, and I see the "Christianizing" of James in the same light.
I know you are asking Bernard, but I regard any potential Christianizing of James as extremely unsurprising. James was called "the brother of the Lord." Paul calls him a Pillar. James was at least as prime a candidate for Christianization as John the Baptist was, and far more so than King Abgar or Seneca.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:19 am
John2 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 am Bernard,

I know you are asking Bernard, but I regard any potential Christianizing of James as extremely unsurprising. James was called "the brother of the Lord." Paul calls him a Pillar. James was at least as prime a candidate for Christianization as John the Baptist was, and far more so than King Abgar or Seneca.
But Paul calling James "the brother of the Lord" (in a letter that refers to Jesus as "the Lord" in 1:3 before mentioning James in 1:19) and a Pillar are examples of why I don't think James needed to be Christianized.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Of what significance is the quite late appearance of the James letter in the record?

The James letter is not to be found in any 2nd or 3rd century canon list, and no Christian writer cites the letter or even clearly alludes to it before Origen mentions the letter in his Commentary on Matthew. The letter 2 Peter is also similarly late.

By this time, or nearly so, a remarkably complete manuscript of Paul’s letters (lacking the Pastorals) had already been “published” (P46).

How might this late appearance of the James letter be explained?
John2

Post by John2 »

robert j wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 am Of what significance is the quite late appearance of the James letter in the record?

The James letter is not to be found in any 2nd or 3rd century canon list, and no Christian writer cites the letter or even clearly alludes to it before Origen mentions the letter in his Commentary on Matthew. The letter 2 Peter is also similarly late.

By this time, or nearly so, a remarkably complete manuscript of Paul’s letters (lacking the Pastorals) had already been “published” (P46).

How might this late appearance of the James letter be explained?
I think it could be explained by being a Jewish Christian and anti-Pauline writing, so it would make sense that it wasn't mentioned by orthodox and proto-orthodox Christians until later. Perhaps it simply didn't come to their attention or they didn't feel comfortable discussing it until then.
John2

Post by John2 »

Consider what Eusebius says about it in that light, since he lumps it with other "disputed" writings that I consider to be Jewish Christian in EH 3.25.3-5 (Jude, 2 Peter, 2 and 3 John, the Shepherd of Hermas, the Didache, Revelation, and the Gospel of the Hebrews):
3. Among the disputed writings, which are nevertheless recognized by many, are extant the so-called epistle of James and that of Jude, also the second epistle of Peter, and those that are called the second and third of John, whether they belong to the evangelist or to another person of the same name.

4. … and the so-called Shepherd … and the so-called Teachings of the Apostles; and besides, as I said, the Apocalypse of John, if it seem proper, which some, as I said, reject, but which others class with the accepted books.

5. And among these some have placed also the Gospel according to the Hebrews, with which those of the Hebrews that have accepted Christ are especially delighted. And all these may be reckoned among the disputed books.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to John2,
Ben already provided a good answer. Certainly, the early Christians could not be subjected to Jesus' brothers not becoming Christians.
Your view on what I call Jewish Christians not being Christians baffles me though
So you think that the ones who thought the earthly human Jesus was plain and ordinary are Christians?
If it is so, that would make me a Christian!
But Paul calling James "the brother of the Lord" (in a letter that refers to Jesus as "the Lord" in 1:3 before mentioning James in 1:19) and a Pillar are examples of why I don't think James needed to be Christianized.
It's my turn to answer a question addressed to Ben.
A blood brother does not have to become a Christian, more so when Jesus himself did not really created later Christian beliefs. That was done years after his execution, progressively.
James was a pillar of the "church" of Jerusalem, but that does not mean that "church" was Christian then.
I dare you to read about my arguments (supported with evidence) starting at http://historical-jesus.info/108.html
Also here, about the beginning of Christianity: http://historical-jesus.info/hjes3x.html
My introduction page http://historical-jesus.info/

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed