The ‘wooden house’ of Sibylline Oracles 8:198

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
FransJVermeiren

The ‘wooden house’ of Sibylline Oracles 8:198

Post by FransJVermeiren »

Sibylline Oracles 8:198 goes as follows: αἰφνίδιος δἑ βροτοὑς ξύλινος δόμος ἀμφικαλύψῃ. Collins (in J.H. Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha vol. 1, p. 423) translates this way: Suddenly a wooden house will cover men round about. He does not comment the verse, nor does C. Alexandre in his 1856 edition. Milton S. Terry (1899) comments ‘Wooden house – A coffin’.

The basic meaning of the Greek δόμος is structure, erection, and understandably a favorite translation is house, but, as Terry’s comment illustrates, other translations are possible. I will use the basis meaning of δόμος, and I translate the verb ἀμφικαλύπτω as ‘to enfold’: Suddenly a wooden structure will enfold men.

But maybe the first word of this verse is the most important for a sound understanding: it emphasizes the suddenness of the enfolding of people with that wooden structure. There is a wooden structure from the era that was erected remarkably quickly: the siege wall of Jerusalem in 70 CE. Josephus describes that Titus and his generals organized its erection as a competition between their legions and companies (War V:502-503). In verse 509 Josephus concludes like this: The whole was built in three days, such rapidity, over a work that might well have occupied months, being well-nigh incredible. (H. St. J. Thackeray, Loeb Classical Library 210).

Therefore I believe that Sibylline Oracles 8:198 describes the building of the Jerusalem siege wall.
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
Charles Wilson

Re: The ‘wooden house’ of Sibylline Oracles 8:198

Post by Charles Wilson »

Josephus, Ant..., 13, 13, 5:

"He [Jannaeus] also built a partition-wall of wood round the altar and the temple, as far as that partition within which it was only lawful for the priests to enter; and by this means he obstructed the multitude from coming at him..."

CW

Edit PS: I hope you realize, Frans, that I Post this, not in opposition to your point but more in favor of it. "Type - Anti-Type". It is consistent with the Transvaluation of the Jannaeus/Hasmonean Story.

Thanx.