Darkness at noon, a frightening war event

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
FransJVermeiren

Darkness at noon, a frightening war event

Post by FransJVermeiren »

In my book A Chronological Revision of the Origins of Christianity and on this forum I have argued that the tearing of the curtain of the temple and the earthquake surrounding Jesus’ crucifixion (Matthew 27:51) are not supernatural phenomena but in fact veiled descriptions of war events. I also argued that the sun and moon effects in the synoptic Apocalypse (Mark 13:24 and parallels) refer to the catastrophe (θλιψις) of the burning of the temple.

In the recent thread ‘Many will come in my name’ GukaseiDon quoted a fragment of the pseudepigraphical Martyrdom and Ascension of Isaiah, in which especially verse 4:5 attracted my attention: And at his word the sun will rise at night and he will make the moon to appear at the sixth hour. This verse combines the sun and moon phrases of the synoptic Apocalypse and Revelation 6:12 with the sixth hour, reminding of the unexplainable ‘solar eclipse’ at Jesus’ crucifixion (Mark 15:33 and parallels): And when the sixth hour came, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

The supplementary information provided by GukaseiDon – thank you very much – opens the door to a concrete war explanation of the darkness between the sixth and the ninth hour. During the night the ‘sun did rise’ because Jerusalem was turned into an enormous fireball. Simultaneously a huge cloud of smoke developed, covering the sky above Jerusalem and the surrounding area. The first hours of the day, with the sun rays touching the earth in an oblique angle, this cloud of smoke had no visual effect on the underlying area, but at noon, with the sun high in the sky, it became dark under this pall of smoke, the sun got a moon-like appearance and the light at the clearest hours of the day resembled to that of a moonlit night. With the sun dropping in the afternoon, at the ninth hour this impressive and frightening phenomenon was over.

(In solar eclipse terms it was not the moon that turned between the sun and the earth but an enormous cloud of smoke).

Thoughts?
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.