marks use of phone-megas

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
theterminator

marks use of phone-megas

Post by theterminator »

And when the unclean spirit [pneuma] had torn him, and cried out with a loud voice [phone-megas], he came out of him. (Mark 1:26)
And cried with a loud voice [phone-megas] . . . and the unclean spirits [pneuma] went out . . . (Mark 5:7-13)
And at the ninth hour Jesus cried [boao - same for the voice crying in the wilderness] with a loud voice [phone-megas], saying, . . . My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (Mark 15:34)
And Jesus cried [aphiemi: uttered/let go/departed ("went out")] with a loud voice [phone-megas] and gave up the ghost. (Mark 15:37)
is the departure with LOUD words or just loud cry?
if marks jesus departed with a loud cry, then he couldn't have said what luke said,
And when Jesus had cried [phoneo - spoke] out with a loud voice, he said, “Father, into your hands I comment my spirit.” And having said this, he breathed his last. (Luke 23:46)
does this mean that when mark has his unclean spirit and jesus depart , he has them utter loud cries without words?
stephan happy huller

Re: marks use of phone-megas

Post by stephan happy huller »

At least the cry of Jesus can be explained by the opinion of the Marcosians:
Hence also it comes to pass, that when the soul is involved in difficulties and distresses, for its own relief it calls out, "Oh" (w), in honour of the letter in question, so that its cognate soul above may recognise [its distress], and send down to it relief.
In other words, the one on the Cross was calling out to his 'cognate soul.' Therefore Jesus wasn't on the Cross.
Everyone loves the happy times
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Re: marks use of phone-megas

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

I don't know. But it seems to me possible, that - against Luke - for Mark here is "pentecost"-time. We all know that the centurion in Mark 15:39 is the executioner and an enemy, so Mark Goodacres is fully right to read the "confession" as a sarcastic cry. But on the other hand Mark´s use of "idôn" (having seen) and "alêthôs" (truly) is consistently. So I play with the idea, that the pneuma came out, the centurion "saw" it, the pneuma - ironically - rested on him and speak the confession through his mouth. Maybe, maybe not :mrgreen: