Lena Einhorn's ideas

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
archibald

Re: Lena Einhorn's ideas

Post by archibald »

As to the love and pacifism.....I'm going to go for 'developed over a period of time', as opposed to 'just thought up'.
archibald

Post by archibald »

One more thought before I hit the sack.

This idea that a pacifist or non-politically partisan Jesus would be an oddity during a time of troubles.

I think this can be taken too far. As someone who lived, from age 12 onwards, in Belfast, in the middle of 'The Troubles', I can say that despite outside appearances and hindsight, not only is there PLENTY of room in day to day life for such people, but that in fact, troubles can throw them up, as a reaction, (Google, 'The Peace People').
Last edited by archibald on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jax

Post by Jax »

archibald wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm As to the love and pacifism.....I'm going to go for 'developed over a period of time', as opposed to 'just thought up'.
I'll go along with that.
archibald

Post by archibald »

Jax wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:28 pm
archibald wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm As to the love and pacifism.....I'm going to go for 'developed over a period of time', as opposed to 'just thought up'.
I'll go along with that.
Phew. Human nature's good side is saved.

Now all we need to do is find out who the developers were.
Jax

Post by Jax »

archibald wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:26 pm One more thought before I hit the sack.

This idea that a pacifist or non-politically partisan Jesus would be an oddity during a time of troubles.

I think this can be taken too far. As someone who lived, from age 12 onwards, in Belfast, in the middle of 'The Troubles', I can say that not only is there PLENTY of room in day to day life for such people, but that in fact, troubles can throw them up, as a reaction, (Google 'The Peace People').
This is actually one of the reasons that I think Paul is writing to people after the wars of the 1st century BCE. It would have struck home with people worn down with war and death.
Jax

Post by Jax »

archibald wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:31 pm
Jax wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:28 pm
I'll go along with that.
Phew. Human nature's good side is saved.

Now all we need to do is find out who the developers were.
Good luck with that.
archibald

Post by archibald »

One final final thought....

The period 4-37 CE was not 'quiet' at all. Either Josephus just deliberately didn't write about it, or he did and it was excised. Because (drum roll then insert favourite conspiracy theory).

And on that bombshell, as Alan Partridge might say........

Goodnight.
archibald

Post by archibald »

Jax wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm
archibald wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:26 pm One more thought before I hit the sack.

I think this can be taken too far. As someone who lived, from age 12 onwards, in Belfast, in the middle of 'The Troubles', I can say that not only is there PLENTY of room in day to day life for such people, but that in fact, troubles can throw them up, as a reaction, (Google 'The Peace People').
This is actually one of the reasons that I think Paul is writing to people after the wars of the 1st century BCE. It would have struck home with people worn down with war and death.
Ok but you presumably have that as at least partly a ploy.

What I was alluding to, perhaps as a counterfoil to all the 'alternative' speculation I am happy to indulge in, I am, equally, and without naivety, still not averse to the idea that there was a sincere and non-violent 'sage type' at the start of all this.

Such people, if there is division all around, can get caught in the crossfire (or 'cross' fire as the case may be) precisely because they are in the middle, an unpopular place in a fight. Or, they can be on the fringes of one side and be mistaken for a hardliner or lumped in with those more extreme.

Just sayin'.
Jax

Post by Jax »

archibald wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm
Jax wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Ok but you presumably have that as at least partly a ploy.

What I was alluding to, perhaps as a counterfoil to all the 'alternative' speculation I am happy to indulge in, I am, equally, and without naivety, still not averse to the idea that there was a sincere and non-violent 'sage type' at the start of all this.

Such people, if there is division all around, can get caught in the crossfire (or 'cross' fire as the case may be) precisely because they are in the middle, an unpopular place in a fight. Or, they can be on the fringes of one side and be mistaken for a hardliner or lumped in with those more extreme.

Just sayin'.
I don't understand the highlighted.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

archibald wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:40 pm
I remain curious as to where the 'love and pacifism' Jesus came from, in either possible scenario (Einhorn's concealed 'actual rebel figure', or a completely invented figure).

I find it hard to imagine that it was just thought up as a foil (in the first scenario), or 'just thought up' in the second.

Why do I say that? I guess because it's actually rather philosophically profound stuff, and arguably rather beautiful.

Too well-formed to have been 'just thought up' during the writing of a deception.
It wouldn't necessarily be a straight-up deception. All it might have taken is a later generation believing a narrative that had grown from previous generations.