Why did James become a Gnostic icon, too?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why did James become a Gnostic icon, too?

Post by Giuseppe »

Afterall, I have seen always James as a Judeo-Christian (Ebionite) icon.

But the miracle happened that James became the hero of the gnostic Apocalypse of James, too.

THe ebionites (and proto-catholics, too?) hated Paul as a gnostic icon, while the Gnostics didn't hate James as a Judeo-Christian tradition. Marcion hated only the 12 apostles, but among them there was not James the ''Brother of Jesus''.

What does it mean?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Why did James become a Gnostic icon, too?

Post by Joseph D. L. »

You're assuming that Gnosticism could only be one thing.

It's not just the Apocalypse of James, but also the Gospel of the Hebrews and Gospel of Thomas that reveal the significance James had to early Christians.

Both James and Paul believed themselves to be the Paraclete. The difference is that James was appointed as such by Jesus (his brother), while Paul had to be appointed by the celestial Chrestus, and be reborn as the Paraclete.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 pm The difference is that James was appointed as such by Jesus (his brother), while Paul had to be appointed by the celestial Chrestus, and be reborn as the Paraclete.
I have strong doubts about James being carnal brother of Jesus, and not only per the optimal Carrier's confutation of the idea about Galatians 1:19, but also because the same Gnostics denied the carnal brotherhood:
See now the completion of my redemption. I have given you a sign of these things, James, my brother. For not without reason have I called you my brother, although you are not my brother materially.
http://gnosis.org/naghamm/1ja.html
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

In the tenth year let Addai sit and write them down. And when he writes them down [...] and they are to give them [...] he has the [...] he is called Levi. Then he is to bring [...] word [...] from what I said earlier [...] a woman [...] Jerusalem in her [...] and he begets two sons through her. They are to inherit these things and the understanding of him who [...] exalts. And they are to receive [...] through him from his intellect. Now, the younger of them is greater. And may these things remain hidden in him until he comes to the age of seventeen years [...] beginning [...] through them. They will pursue him exceedingly, since they are from his [...] companions. He will be proclaimed through them, and they will proclaim this word. Then he will become a seed of [...]."
I think the meaning of this is clearly referring to James and Jesus.