On the Name Μαρκίων and Marcosian Gematria

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

On the Name Μαρκίων and Marcosian Gematria

Post by Secret Alias »

There is no subject that I have spent more time on than the subject of the name Μαρκίων. Of course Marcion is an attested name. As Hilgenfeld notes Μαρκίων is a subform of the common name Mark. Could there have been an evangelist named 'Mark' and a heretic named 'Mark' and another heretic named 'Marcion'? Of course. Yet as we have seen in other examples there is an inevitable expansion of references to individuals (= many Marys, many Philips, many Simons) when there was originally only one. So, it would seem, Marcion might not only be a subform of Mark but a specific ritual form of the name.

Hilgenfeld already notes that the suffix ίων was added to names as a means of showing intimacy. Eusebius's citation of material related to Apelles, the Marcionite references or addresses a certain Καλλιστίων who Hilgenfeld surmises was actually Καλλιστος of Rome. So Μαρκίων might well be a way a way of addressing a Μᾶρκος with a sign of intimacy. Whatever the case may be this sort of address is demonstrated in Irenaeus's (secondhand) reporting of the Marcosian sect. Some sort of a liturgy is reported where devotees 'wish to join' Mark in intimacy. Of course the specific form Μαρκίων is not referenced in the report.

What is reported - strangely enough - is a strange Greek gematria - where (in accordance with the actual history of the Greek alphabet) it is assumed that a letter dropped out of usage - the episemon https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/episemon the sixth letter, the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew vav. In a bizarre mythopoetic numerology Jesus comes to rescue the sixth letter which is associated with all sorts of 'sixes' in the gospel (and certainly the warning against 666 in Revelations is also related). To this end all sorts of numerical references in the gospel (like 99 = one less than hundred) imply that the restoration of this one letter to the Greek language are part of some mystical revelation at the heart of the gospel.

I can demonstrate this scheme in more detail later but for the moment (as I am pressed for time) it is interesting to see what this assumption that one letter is missing from the Greek alphabet does for the name Marcion:

Μαρκίων 40 + 1 + 100 +20 + 10 + 800 + 50 = 1221

Μαρκίων 30 + 1 + 90 +10 + 9 + 700 + 40 = 880

The idea that Jesus is the ogdoad is the foundation of Christian mysticism. But interesting Mark in the Marcosian cult is a kind of second Jesus who - as we see - is only 8 short of being the cosmic 888. Curious.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: On the Name Μαρκίων and Marcosian Gematria

Post by Secret Alias »

I really should be working but to understand the 'system' it's really quite simple:

α = 1
β = 2
γ = 3
δ = 4
ϵ = 5
ζ = 6
η = 7
θ = 8
ι = 9
κ = 10
λ = 20
μ = 30
ν = 40
ξ = 50
ο = 60
ϙ = 70
π = 80
ρ = 90
σ = 100
τ = 200
υ = 300
ϕ - 400
χ = 500
ψ = 600
ω = 700
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The curious result of this cipher is that a new context for 666 emerges. 666 in this system is now ψοζ. Note what Eusebius writes about the "great year" https://books.google.com/books?id=b_Vvg ... us&f=false i.e. a period of great conflagration, end of the world:
'The Great Year (μέγαν ἐνιαυτὸν) some suppose to consist in a period of eight years, but others in nineteen years, and others in fifty-nine. Heracleitus makes it consist of eighteen thousand solar years: Diogenes of three hundred and sixty-five years, as many as the year has days according to Heracleitus: but others of ψοζ (άλλοι δε δι, επτακισχιλίων ψοζ https://books.google.com/books?id=jO4XA ... B6&f=false)
Of course the English translation is rendered 'seven thousand, seven hundred, and seventy-seven years.' But there appears to be one variation in the text of ψοζ. However as we have seen they are just letters on a page reported anonymously. What are the odds this is coincidence? What is the better explanation?

It is interesting that in some MSS the reference to άλλοι δε δι, επτακισχιλίων ψοζ is removed http://khazarzar.skeptik.net/pgm/PG_Mig ... lica__.pdf The footnote in the book shows great variation in the MSS https://books.google.com/books?id=8yk2A ... us&f=false
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Πέτρος = 90 + 5 + 200 + 90 + 60 + 100 = 545

Interestingly the oldest known gematria reference with an interest in this number - “I love her whose number is 545)” (cited in G. A. Deissmann, Light from the Ancient East [London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1910). Of course there is no relationship that I can see between ϕμϵ at Pompeii and this system other than the possible interest in the same number.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 am Πέτρος = 90 + 5 + 200 + 90 + 60 + 100 = 545

Interestingly the oldest known gematria reference with an interest in this number - “I love her whose number is 545)” (cited in G. A. Deissmann, Light from the Ancient East [London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1910). Of course there is no relationship that I can see between ϕμϵ at Pompeii and this system other than the possible interest in the same number.
Well, it sounds to me like our Pompeiian suitor may have been less interested in the number 545 itself than in the fact that it happened to be her number.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Of course. As I said coincidence. I was surprised to see that two examples of gematria survive from Pompeii (we have few 'hermetically sealed' sites like this) demonstrate how Marcus's practices might have had widespread appeal. Only Jews survive with this ancient obsession. But at one time this was a crazy obsession among Greek speakers too.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Another coincidence. I have tried unsuccessfully to make sense of this passage from Irenaeus:
Moreover, Jesus, which is a word belonging to the proper tongue of the Hebrews, contains, as the learned among them declare, two letters and a half, and signifies that Lord who contains heaven and earth; for Jesus in the ancient Hebrew language means "heaven," while again "earth" is expressed by the words sura usser. The word, therefore, which contains heaven and earth is just Jesus. Their explanation, then, of the Episemon is false, and their numerical calculation is also manifestly overthrown. For, in their own language, Soter is a Greek word of five letters; but, on the other hand, in the Hebrew tongue, Jesus contains only two letters and a half. The total which they reckon up, viz., eight hundred and eighty-eight, therefore falls to the ground. And throughout, the Hebrew letters do not correspond in number with the Greek, although these especially, as being the more ancient and unchanging, ought to uphold the reckoning connected with the names.
All of us who have tried to make sense of the passage see it as a reference to something in Genesis chapter 1. But it isn't a quote of the passage. Irenaeus simply mentions 'Lord,' 'heaven' and 'earth.' Genesis 1:1:

אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ

Elohim = 86 h'Shamayim = 395 h'Erets = 296 = 777 or ψοζ in standard Greek notation. However as we have already shown ψοζ has the value of 666 in Marcosian gematria. ωϙη would be 777.

So in the middle of this curious and ultimately incomprehensible passage from Irenaeus we find the number 777. Jesus in the usual notation
= 888. Curious.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And clearly the Marcosians calculated words according to their normal numerical value. Alpha and Omega = dove is a clear example of this. But then there are the numbers in the gospel ...
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

1 + 2 = 3
1 + 2 + 3 = 6
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 = 22
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 = 30
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 39
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 = 49
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 = 60
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 = 72
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 = 85
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 = 99

They identify Mark as 'encoding' his gospel with these numbers in the following place. I don't want to get too bogged down with this proof but the Egyptians followers of Mark pointed to the emphasis on the following numbers in the gospel as proof that this 'code' was present in its original form:

10 - "And what woman having ten drachmas would lose one of them, and not light a lamp, and sweep the house, and seek it with care till she found it; and when she found it, call her friends and neighbours, and say unto them, Rejoice with me, as I have found my drachma that was lost?" [Diatessaron xxvi.9; AH i.14.1]

Ten is the value of the letter yod or iota which appears in the saying"one Iota, or one tittle, shall by no means pass away until all be fulfilled." [AH i.3.2]

the number of disciples to whom Christ appeared after being raised from the dead [Diatessaron LIV.17; AH i.18.3]

22 - the number of letters in the Hebrew alphabet.

30 - the age of Jesus when crucified [Diatessaron iv.24; AH i.14.1]

- the number of days from Jesus baptism of his disciple to his crucifixion (i.e. 'the redemption').

- the parable of the labourers sent into the vineyard. For some are sent about the first hour, others about the third hour, others about the sixth hour, others about the ninth hour, and others about the eleventh hour. Now, if we add up the numbers of the hours here mentioned, the sum total will be thirty: for one, three, six, nine, and eleven, when added together, form thirty [Diatessaron xix.27f].

- symbol of the first level of 'fruitfulness' in the parable 'and some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it; and it yielded no fruit. And other fell into excellent and good ground; and it came up, and grew, and brought forth fruit, some thirty, and some sixty, and some a hundred.' [Diatessaron xvi.24]

- the amount of money needed for the redemption of a slave/Judas returns to the high priest [Diatessaron xliv.8]

49 - the number of times Jesus demands forgiveness from our brothers [Diatessaron xxvii.24]

the impending destruction of the temple [Daniel 9:24 - 27 cited in Diatessaron xlii.4 - 6]

60 - symbol of the second level of 'fruitfulness' in the parable 'and some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it; and it yielded no fruit. And other fell into excellent and good ground; and it came up, and grew, and brought forth fruit, some thirty, and some sixty, and some a hundred.' [Diatessaron xvi.24]

72 - the number of apostles sent out to announce the messianic jubilee [Diatessaron xv.15]

99 - the ninety nine sheep and the one who was lost and restored to the 'right hand' [Diatessaron xxvi.1 - 9]

100 - the number of perfection (i.e. one the ehad is restored to the ninety nine).

symbol of the last and greatest level of 'fruitfulness' in the parable 'and some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it; and it yielded no fruit. And other fell into excellent and good ground; and it came up, and grew, and brought forth fruit, some thirty, and some sixty, and some a hundred.' [Diatessaron xvi.24]

It is also worth noting that 'right hand' - yamin in Hebrew - has a numerical value of one hundred - y (10) + m (40) + (50). Being 'seated at the right hand' of God is not surprisingly the conclusion of the gospel narrative