The Ebionites

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Re: The Ebionites

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Hey John2.

Regarding Papias and Hegesippus, I must say that I share neither your respect or enthusiasm. I see both of them (though I think that they are actually one and the same figure) as representing a period of propaganda, in which a pseudo-history of the church was created. This includes but is not limited to:

1) The back projecting of events to the early first century (when they actually occurred in the late first, early second centuries)
2) The creation, multiplication, and singularlization of characters, personages and figures (effectively creating proxies for their beliefs and to combat perceived heresies)
3) The first attempt at modifying and codifying Christian scripture (creating a unified canon for the emerging orthodoxy)
4) Interpolating Jewish and Gentile sources to comply with this history (such as Josephus, Philo; Phlegon and Tacitus)

The reason I didn't include them/him is because everyone of these men, with the possible exception of Justin, are simply following this lead. Irenaeus especially, as he seems to have been a direct student of this man, who had some connection to the Royal Hall. Luke/Acts, I am 100% convinced, is his very creation, building upon the texts (Gospel harmony and Acts romances) of his teacher. I also have narrowed down who this man potentially was, but in any event, he is solely responsible for why our history of Christianity in its infancy is so opaque and confused.

But on the other extreme, there is Epiphanius, a man just as untrustworthy if not more.

So far, Clement of Alexandria, though having before him corrupted information, seems to be the only honest early Christian patristic.
John2

Post by John2 »

Joseph D.L.,

Thanks for the response. It looks like we have polar opposite views! :)
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

John2 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 pm Joseph D.L.,

Thanks for the response. It looks like we have polar opposite views! :)
Indeed. It's just that I can't see how anyone can read these men and not feel as they've just been hoodwinked. But perhaps your model accounts for certain features that mine lacks.