Did Mark reject entirely the Temple of Jerusalem?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Did Mark reject entirely the Temple of Jerusalem?

Post by Giuseppe »

If who rises in Mark was the spiritual Christ, then I may be more inclined to answer ''yes''.

But who rises in Mark is ''Jesus Nazarene'', the Son of Man, the ''King of the Jews'', the one called (and only called Christ), not the Son of God or Christ (or spiritual high priest).

If Jesus Nazarene is the earthly mirror of the spiritual Christ, then his resurrection implies a resurrection of the earthly Temple, not of the spiritual Temple (that is never destroyed, being in heaven).

Mark 14:58-59
58 “We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands.’” 59 Yet even about this their testimony did not agree.
If ''their testimony did not agree'', then it cannot be said that Jesus wanted the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem without a his future reconstruction. Hence Mark hoped still in a reconstruction of the Temple in Jerusalem itself.

This may be an argument to date Mark before the definitive failure of the hope in a future reconstruction of the Temple (i.e., before the Bar-Kokhba war).
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.