Garrow's $1000 Challenge

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Garrow's $1000 Challenge

Post by Secret Alias »

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Jax

Re: Garrow's $1000 Challenge

Post by Jax »

Very interesting videos by Alan Garrow. I am very interested in seeing where this leads.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Arrrrgggggg......

I'm not a member of Bart's blog so I can't access the response of Mark Goodacre to Alan Garrow’s argument on Matthew using Luke and the Didache.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am friends with Goodacre on Facebook. He's going to post it on his blog shortly.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
g_n_o_s_i_s

Post by g_n_o_s_i_s »

Isn't this almost exactly what Klinghardt argues except he uses the Gospel of the Lord as the source for Matthew instead of Luke?
Jax

Post by Jax »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:23 am I am friends with Goodacre on Facebook. He's going to post it on his blog shortly.
Cool. :)

If you would, could you post a link to it when it is available? Also do you know if there is a written version of Alan Garrow’s argument that we can access?

Thanks

Jax
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Richard Bauckham 12/9/2017 03:31:50 pm
I was convinced by your argument (except for your retention of a rump of the Q hypothesis) some time ago. Why don't I get $1000?

Alan Garrow 12/10/2017 04:52:29 am
Because your endorsement is priceless (and I'm not setting the rules!)

https://www.alangarrow.com/blog/barts-1000-gamble
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Jax wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 am Arrrrgggggg......

I'm not a member of Bart's blog so I can't access the response of Mark Goodacre to Alan Garrow’s argument on Matthew using Luke and the Didache.
There's something "off" about being given a $1000 to post something yet still keeping what you post behind a paywall. Ehrman is so not into open or public access of information. Something .... what's the word, .... some might say "American"(?) about it?

(Yes, I know, the $ goes to a charity of his choice, as if no-one else would think of giving to a charity if it weren't for their desire to know what he thinks. Something very "off" about his MO.)
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Jax

Post by Jax »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:14 pm
Jax wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 am Arrrrgggggg......

There's something "off" about being given a $1000 to post something yet still keeping what you post behind a paywall. Ehrman is so not into open or public access of information. Something .... what's the word, .... some might say "American"(?) about it?

(Yes, I know, the $ goes to a charity of his choice, as if no-one else would think of giving to a charity if it weren't for their desire to know what he thinks. Something very "off" about his MO.)
I agree completely.