Capernaum in Mark 9:33

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Capernaum in Mark 9:33

Post by Giuseppe »

On the same frequency and tenor of the my previous posts about Capernaum (with an eye to Marcion 8-) ):

Mark 9:33-37

33 They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, “What were you arguing about on the road?” 34 But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest.

35 Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.”

36 He took a little child whom he placed among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, 37 “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.”
"Capernaum" is linked here again to the idea of greatness and height, but a false (only apparent) greatness and height. That greatness wanted by the apostles.

That same false greatness possessed by the demiurge.

It seems that the irony linked to Capernaum in any case (if irony has to be, and it has to be there!) concerns the false messianic hope about Jesus.

The exorcism episode, the return to his home in Capernaum and the discussion about who is greatest. Three episodes in Capernaum where Jesus is seen as the earhly Jewish Christ.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.