Why is Peter called Satan in Mark?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
iskander

Re: Why is Peter called Satan in Mark?

Post by iskander »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:25 pm If Peter doesn't like the idea of a suffering Christ, then does he become "Satan" in virtue of this rejection? Or was he "Satan" even before this his explicit rejection of the idea?

In this latter case, Peter is "Satan" as he recognizes Jesus as the "Christ" (just as the demons).

Is Peter becomes "Satan" only after or already before his rejection of the idea of the death of Jesus, at any rate then he shares with the demons:

1) the recognition of the Messianic identity of Jesus
2) the desire that the Christ doesn't come (to be killed)

If Peter/"Satan" has to come "behind" Jesus just as "Satan", this means that he will follow Jesus on the way to the cross.

Is he Simon of Cyrene?
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:25 pm If Peter doesn't like the idea of a suffering Christ, then does he become "Satan" in virtue of this rejection?

Peter is voicing the same silent thoughts that Jesus had been fighting . That is why Jesus rejects Peter's words so vehemently.
Satan is nothing more than the evil inclination of man-- the saitan , it is not Satan.

Jesus feels he has a duty to confront the current regime and Peter's wisdom frightens him because he had been fighting the same wisdom. In the episode of the temptation of Jesus in the desert, Jesus had been confronted by his desire to live like any other man born of a woman and now Peter was bringing the same temptation back .

Jesus replied, this fight has already been fought and won, stay behind me, saitan
iskander

Post by iskander »

iskander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 pm
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:25 pm If Peter doesn't like the idea of a suffering Christ, then does he become "Satan" in virtue of this rejection? Or was he "Satan" even before this his explicit rejection of the idea?

In this latter case, Peter is "Satan" as he recognizes Jesus as the "Christ" (just as the demons).

Is Peter becomes "Satan" only after or already before his rejection of the idea of the death of Jesus, at any rate then he shares with the demons:

If Peter/"Satan" has to come "behind" Jesus just as "Satan", this means that he will follow Jesus on the way to the cross.

Is he Simon of Cyrene?
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:25 pm If Peter doesn't like the idea of a suffering Christ, then does he become "Satan" in virtue of this rejection?

Peter is voicing the same silent thoughts that Jesus had been fighting . That is why Jesus rejects Peter's words so vehemently.
Satan is nothing more than the evil inclination of man-- the saitan , it is not Satan.

Jesus feels he has a duty to confront the current regime and Peter's wisdom frightens him because he had been fighting the same wisdom. In the episode of the temptation of Jesus in the desert, Jesus had been confronted by his desire to live like any other man born of a woman and now Peter was bringing the same temptation back .

Jesus replied, this fight has already been fought and won, stay behind me, saitan
But, Did Peter stay behind Jesus?
iskander

Post by iskander »

iskander wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:29 am
iskander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Is he Simon of Cyrene?

But, Did Peter stay behind Jesus?
No, Jesus will die loving life:' Here I stand. God help me. Amen'.
Matthew 26
39And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want.