King Dave's pavurcn's Top Ten Reasons The Shroud Is Authentic

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ulan

Re: King Dave's pavurcn's Top Ten Reasons The Shroud Is Authentic

Post by Ulan »

"Enhanced" :D.

There are actually faulty programs like that available, which will find in a noisy image whatever you want. When we did this in electron microscopy, a good test was always to swap the pattern you look for for a stylized image of Einstein's face. If the routine finds Einstein everywhere, dump the program.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:43 am
DCHindley wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am I would be highly surprised if the exact coin could be determined even by those who examined the shroud directly. If someone has made such a claim then it would seem to have been a case of "Well, they kind of look a little like some general type of coin circulating in Pilate's time." In other words, they are round and about the size of one of the many coins then in circulation in Palestine (ranging from denarii, drachmas, to copper/bronze fractional coins).
:goodmorning:

Did that come from here?

http://theshroudofturin.blogspot.com/20 ... -5.html#50

"pure pareidolia"

Maybe we should bring up the microletters ‎Jerry Vardaman has "seen" on various ancient coins, but which no one else apparently can?

DCH
Kapyong

Post by Kapyong »

DCHindley wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 pm "pure pareidolia"

Maybe we should bring up the microletters ‎Jerry Vardaman has "seen" on various ancient coins, but which no one else apparently can?

DCH
Perhaps he can identify the microletters on the coins in the image on the Shroud ;)

Kapyong
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

I fully agree. My only point was that you seemed to underestimate what they in their pareidolia are able to do. :D
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:14 am

I fully agree. My only point was that you seemed to underestimate what they in their pareidolia are able to do. :D
Actually ... I was aware. :idea:

That website blog I cited, one maintained by an (US) Evangelical Christian who wants to believe the shroud is authentic, does cite both sides, and he makes note of skeptical positions that mirror my own, using almost the same language I did. Weird.

I just don't see the patterns, except in the "enhanced" pictures. It is my humble opinion that stains on rough herringbone weaved linen will not preserve much of any image in the 14mm diameter circles where coins or whatever were supposed to have been placed. "That range of spots must be the image of a 'Pilate's prutah'! See it!? There's the auger's wand!! It's right there!!! Right in front of your nose, gosh-darn it!!!!"

In my day I think I have seen enough "enhanced" images of things that weren't there in the debates over claims that this or that were 1st century fragments of this or that gospel, or in the book Gospel Hoax by Carlson. "That wiggle in the letter is a 'forger's tremor'! See it!? It's there!!! Right in front of your nose, gosh-darn it!!!!" As someone who actually does have frequent tremors in the muscles of my hands that control my pointer fingers, I can assure you I have never forged anything. :shh:

DCH