The Cuirass, Jesus, Galba and Devin Kelley

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

The Cuirass, Jesus, Galba and Devin Kelley

Post by Charles Wilson »

I'm regretting this one before I even Submit this for a Post. Bear with me...

http://nypost.com/2017/11/06/sharpshoot ... ch-gunman/

From the ever politicized Wiki-P:
"A cuirass (/kwɪˈræs/; French: cuirasse, Latin: coriaceus) is a piece of armour, formed of a single or multiple pieces of metal or other rigid material which covers the front of the torso.

In a suit of armour, the cuirass was generally connected to a back piece. Cuirass could also refer to the complete torso-protecting armour."

Suetonius, 12 Caesars, "Galba":

"Not long after this he learned that Otho held possession of the Camp, and when several advised him to proceed thither as soon as possible — for they said that he could win the day by his presence and prestige — he decided to do no more than hold his present position and strengthen it by getting together a guard of the legionaries, who were encamped in many different quarters of the city. He did however put on a linen cuirass, though he openly declared that it would afford little protection against so many swords...

John 19: 23 (RSV):

[23] When the soldiers had crucified Jesus they took his garments and made four parts, one for each soldier; also his tunic. But the tunic was without seam, woven from top to bottom;

If you think this is a random concatenation of disparate Passages, guess again. I do believe that the reference to the "seamless garment" in John is indeed a reference to a Cuirass and that it does indeed reference the death of Galba.

Funny how History repeats doesn't it?

"The man hailed as a hero for confronting the Texas mass shooter during his rampage is a sharpshooting plumber with no military background — who hit the gunman through a gap in his body armor, according to a report".

I am frequently amazed at the accuracy of sharpshooters. George Will quoted a Civil War passage of a Confederate sharpshooter who hit a Union General at 500-ish yards as he exited his tent one morning, as he was in the habit of doing. The General fell in mid sentence as he was talking to his troops.

I have my doubts about the intentions of this particular shooter [as to whether he was trying to shoot between the gaps] after the church massacre but...there it is.

The Cuirass - or lack of one - has played a role (again) in the History of Warfare.

CW

PS: All I ask is that the Anti-Gun Nuts and the Pro-Gun Nuts hash out you enmities in another Thread, perhaps in the Lounge. THNX.