NT books apparently known by Patristic Fathers

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Re: NT books apparently known by Patristic Fathers

Post by Charles Wilson »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 pm Are there any relevant lists, then, that differ from Suetonius' Twelve Caesars?
  1. Divus Iulius.
  2. Divus Augustus.
  3. Tiberius.
  4. Caligula.
  5. Divus Claudius.
  6. Nero.
  7. Galba.
  8. Frugi Piso
  9. Otho.
  10. Vitellius.
  11. Divus Vespasianus.
  12. Divus Titus.
  13. Domitianus.
What about Josephus? He makes Augustus Caesar the second emperor and Gaius Caligula the fourth, exactly as expected:
Acts 6: 5 - 6 (RSV):

[5] And what they said pleased the whole multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Proch'orus, and Nica'nor, and Ti'mon, and Par'menas, and Nicola'us, a proselyte of Antioch.
[6] These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands upon them.

If "Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch" may be identified with "Octavian, Hero/Champion of Antioch" - and Octavian did champion that city - we may count this list and find that "Stephen" is a candidate for a match-up with Frugi Piso. The difference is that Piso had his veins opened and Stephen was stoned. As I always state here, "Do you fall asleep when you are stoned?".

Tacitus, Histories, Book 4:

"The murder of Calpurnius Galerianus caused the utmost consternation. He was a son of Caius Piso, and had done nothing, but a noble name and his own youthful beauty made him the theme of common talk; and while the country was still unquiet and delighted in novel topics, there were persons who associated him with idle rumours of Imperial honours. By order of Mucianus he was surrounded with a guard of soldiers. Lest his execution in the capital should excite too much notice, they conducted him to the fortieth milestone from Rome on the Appian Road, and there put him to death by opening his veins..."

Acts 7: 58 - 60 (RSV):

[58] Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him; and the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul.
[59] And as they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."
[60] And he knelt down and cried with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

So...Umm, yes, there might be another to add to the list.

CW

Important Edit Note: The descriptions given above are woefully incomplete since F. Piso faced a different death. "Stephen Martyr" is a composite character. I've unpacked the character in various Posts through the years. It ends with:

1 Corinthians 1: 14 - 16 (RSV):

[14] I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Ga'ius;
[15] lest any one should say that you were baptized in my name.
[16] (I did baptize also the household of Steph'anas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.)

The point is that Tacitus is used and Frugi Piso, the Four Day Emperor, is given in the NT as a Player. A very strong marker is given that implies that "Paul" is to be identified as "Mucianus". Note that it is the "HOUSEHOLD of Stephanas" that is "Baptized".
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
It looks completely the other way around to me. It looks exactly like something somebody would find in the LXX and then attribute to Jesus.
I do not have a clue why you would think that. Why would my interpretation be false?

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:37 am to Ben,
It looks completely the other way around to me. It looks exactly like something somebody would find in the LXX and then attribute to Jesus.
I do not have a clue why you would think that. Why would my interpretation be false?
Lots of details from Psalm 22 are applied to Jesus in the NT and in the fathers. Did they all really happen to Jesus, only later to be mined from the LXX?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Michael BG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 amI have already stated that I date Barnabas by 16:3-4 to 130 or 131.
Do you have a link to your post or to evidence that 16.3-4 lines up nicely with 130/131?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:08 pm
Michael BG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 amI have already stated that I date Barnabas by 16:3-4 to 130 or 131.
Do you have a link to your post or to evidence that 16.3-4 lines up nicely with 130/131?
Michael BG has two posts in this thread -
  1. http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... 740#p76740 Mon Oct 23, 2017
  2. http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... 778#p76778 Tue Oct 24, 2017

and two others
  1. http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... 602#p53602 Fri May 20, 2016
  2. http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... 741#p53741 Sun May 22, 2016
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Lots of details from Psalm 22 are applied to Jesus in the NT and in the fathers.
"Barnabas" used the OT passage in order to show his "His suffering was manifested beforehand." (that is part of an ancient God's plan, not an accident). The argument would fall flat if his audience did not know already what (allegedly) happened to Jesus' garment.
Actually, "Barnabas" did some cut & paste on Psalm 118:12 & Psalm 22:16-18 and notably took off "they have pierced my hands and feet--". Why? I think because none of the Synoptics say that.
22:16-18 "Yea, dogs are round about me; a company of evildoers encircle me; they have pierced my hands and feet--
I can count all my bones-- they stare and gloat over me;
they divide my garments among them, and for my raiment they cast lots."

108:12 "They surrounded me like bees, they blazed like a fire of thorns; in the name of the LORD I cut them off!"
To be compared with Barnabas 6:6:
"What then saith the prophet again? The assembly of evildoers
gathered around Me
, they surrounded Me as bees surround a comb;
and; For My garment they cast a lot."

It looks "Barnabas" kept from these four verses only what shows in the Synoptic gospels.
Did they all really happen to Jesus, only later to be mined from the LXX?
I don't know about Jesus, but that really happens in gMark & gMatthew.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Bernard Muller wrote: I think your analysis on my cited quotes on 'Barnabas" are right on (exception in my view: cast a lot) and very helpful for me in order to understand their limitations concerning their value as evidence about "Barnabas" knowing the Synoptics, more so gMatthew. Thanks.
Thank you.
Bernard Muller wrote:
I mean the tradition which preceded the gospels.
I don't see why "Barnabas" would used traditions which we don't know existed (before the gospels) rather than some gospels which you accepted existed then.
If you think there were no traditions before Mark, Q, Matthew, Luke and John wrote them down then you have to conclude that where Barnabas has a tradition which is the same as in one of them, it must come from one of them. However I don’t think that is your position because you wrote
I agree that a common tradition about the virgin fabricated around 80 CE was picked up by "Luke" & "Matthew" who greatly expanded it with their own invented stuff.
Therefore you do recognise that not everything in the gospels was created by the authors of the gospels and the author of Q.

Therefore I think for you to present a case that Barnabas could only have been using something from the gospel you have to not only present that the same idea was in a gospel but that it was created by a gospel author and so could not have existed as an independent tradition for Barnabas to use. If you can’t provide this second part then you have left open the possibility that the tradition was independent of the gospels and reached Barnabas independently of the gospels.
BTW, I did not see any close phrases between 'Barnabas" and gJohn. It does not look "Barnabas" knew any traditions preceding gJohn which eventually got into the same gospel. If it is true, that would be an argument against preceding traditions for gospels and "Barnabas" knowing gJohn.
I haven’t looked for John parallels to all the texts we have considered, but there is Jn 19:1-3 (crown of thorns and purple robe Mk15:16-20), Jn 19:23-24 which ends with “they parted my garments among them and for my clothing they cast lots”.
If Barnabas does not have unique parallels to John’s gospel this could mean John’s gospel was not written by then and that there are no unique early traditions in it, John just created new ones and used the Synoptics, but it can’t be used as evidence for this.
Bernard Muller wrote:Also, I made a study on the missing block (from gMark) in gLuke and one of my conclusion is "Luke" did not know of traditions (appearing in the missing block) available from other sources: you may consult that webpage: http://historical-jesus.info/appf.html
This is a discussion for another day.
Bernard Muller wrote:
I don’t think Mark has Jesus say the words from the Septuagint. As I have shown the Greek of Barnabas and Septuagint Psalm 21:19b are identical. I am sure you are aware of the view of C. H. Dodd that the Old Testament testimonia were attached to the narratives in their oral stage before the tradition came to the gospel writers. Even Luke has “his garments” rather than the Psalms “clothing of-me”. You have failed to show dependency on Luke’s gospel. What we know is that Mark has a link to the same Psalm verse. Therefore it is very possible that the linking of this Psalm verse with the crucifixion of Jesus was very early before Mark wrote his gospel. Therefore the use of the Psalms “clothing of-me” could be put on the lips of Jesus independent of Luke.
I did not try to show dependency on Luke's gospel, rather dependency on the Synoptic gospels. After all, it is only in these gospels that "they" casted a lot specifically on the garment of Jesus. That would be too much of a coincidence that "Barnabas" attributed that relative to Jesus by knowing only the Septuagint on that matter.
Mk 15:24 “… they … and divided his garments among them, casting lots for them, …”
Mt 27:35 “… they divided his garments among them by casting lots;”
Lk 23:34 “And Jesus said, “Father …”. And they cast lots to divide his garments.”
My mistake Barnabas is not using Mark, Matthew or Luke. As I stated earlier the words are identical to Septuagint Psalm 21:19 “καί Ἐπὶ τὸν ἱματισμόν μου ἔβαλον κλῆρον” (“my clothing” not “his clothing”). In fact the Greek is also identical to that used by John:
“καὶ ἐπὶ τὸν ἱματισμόν μου ἔβαλον κλῆρον”.

Are you saying that Barnabas used “they” from either Luke or Matthew rather than “they” being natural or from the Septuagint Psalm – “διεμερίσαντο” – “they-are”?
Bernard Muller wrote:It looks to me that casting Jesus' garment a lot was something already known by "Barnabas" and his audience. It does not look it is something that "Barnabas" read in the LXX and then thought it was a good idea to attribute that to Jesus.
If you think the casting of lots for Jesus’ garments was known by Barnabas and his audience then this could be because of one of three things:
1. It happened and this fact was always part of the story,
2. The Psalm quote was attached to the story early and came to Barnabas this way,
3. Mark attached the Psalm to the story and Barnabas could only know of it from one of the gospels.

For the third of these to be true the other two must be false, but you haven’t provided a case for why these are false. For me I think the second is most likely but I haven’t ruled out the other two.
Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:08 pm
I am not sure what you are asking for. In this thread page 8 I wrote,
It is possible that Barnabas was written in either 130 or 131 CE after the Emperor Hadrian had agreed to the rebuilding of Jerusalem and the Temple. This would be why the author wrote that the rebuilding was happening now.
On page 10 I wrote,
It seems that their enemy destroyed it and the servants of the enemies are going to rebuilt it. If the enemy is the Romans, then the servants of the enemy are the workers of the Romans. This would fit 130 /131 CE when Hadrian had announced he was going to rebuild the Temple.
I have just found this
HADRIAN
By: Richard Gottheil, Samuel Krauss
Roman emperor (117-138). … Afterward he seems to have avoided conflict with the Jews and to have granted them certain privileges. … and Jewish legend says that R. Joshua b. Hananiah was on friendly terms with him, and that Hadrian intended to rebuild the Temple at Jerusalem (Gen. R. lxiv.). This agrees with the statement of Epiphanius ("De Mensuris et Ponderibus," § 14) that the emperor commissioned the proselyte Akylas (Aquila)—who, according to the rabbinical legend, was related to him—to supervise the building at Jerusalem, this of course referring to the city and not to the Temple. Other Christian sources, as Chrysostom, Cedrenus, and Nicephorus Callistus, say that the Jews had intended to build the Temple themselves; but a passage in the Epistle of Barnabas (xvi. 4)—though its interpretation is disputed among scholars—seems to indicate that the Jews expected the pagans to rebuild the Temple.
(http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7015-hadrian)
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Michael BG wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:55 pmI am not sure what you are asking for. In this thread page 8 I wrote,
It is possible that Barnabas was written in either 130 or 131 CE after the Emperor Hadrian had agreed to the rebuilding of Jerusalem and the Temple. This would be why the author wrote that the rebuilding was happening now.
On page 10 I wrote,
It seems that their enemy destroyed it and the servants of the enemies are going to rebuilt it. If the enemy is the Romans, then the servants of the enemy are the workers of the Romans. This would fit 130 /131 CE when Hadrian had announced he was going to rebuild the Temple.
I have just found this
HADRIAN
By: Richard Gottheil, Samuel Krauss
Roman emperor (117-138). … Afterward he seems to have avoided conflict with the Jews and to have granted them certain privileges. … and Jewish legend says that R. Joshua b. Hananiah was on friendly terms with him, and that Hadrian intended to rebuild the Temple at Jerusalem (Gen. R. lxiv.). This agrees with the statement of Epiphanius ("De Mensuris et Ponderibus," § 14) that the emperor commissioned the proselyte Akylas (Aquila)—who, according to the rabbinical legend, was related to him—to supervise the building at Jerusalem, this of course referring to the city and not to the Temple. Other Christian sources, as Chrysostom, Cedrenus, and Nicephorus Callistus, say that the Jews had intended to build the Temple themselves; but a passage in the Epistle of Barnabas (xvi. 4)—though its interpretation is disputed among scholars—seems to indicate that the Jews expected the pagans to rebuild the Temple.
(http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7015-hadrian)
Does this evidence not tend to compromise your case? The quotation characterizes the source for Hadrian's intention to rebuild the temple as a "Jewish legend" (about Rabbi ben Hananiah). Then it refers to Epiphanius, who contradicts this "legend" when he writes, "Hadrian made up his mind to (re)build the city, but not the temple." Then it mentions the many other Christian sources which insist that the Jews intended to rebuild the temple themselves. Is there no better evidence?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ